Stella Artois What Happened?

36 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I once had a few Barleys wines ,  never again . I can still taste it now , over 30 years later 

Hello Hackey.

I was the same with Gin, had the good part of a bottle - on the way to a party once- never again 🥴.

Same experience with a bottle of Sothern comfort - I overcame that aversion after a while :blush:

Happy Daze 🧐.

Keep safe 8)

I remember when Whitbread's made a lager called 'Gold Label' back in the 1980's.  Going to meet a few friends, intending to enjoy a night out along Woodseats, first call was The Chantrey.   Forgetting where I was, (think The Chantrey at the time was a Ward's house & didn't sell Whitbread Gold Label?),  I order a pint of 'Gold Label'. 

"Are you sure?", said the landlord, (it was a bloke called Mick at that time). 

I look at him straight in tbe face, wondering why he's questioned my choice?  "Yeah! I want a pint of Gold Label!"   At that point he pours a number of bottles, (think it was 3?), of Gold Label Barley Wine into a pint glass & charges me about £4, when lager was about 85p a pint. 

Not wanting to loose face, I knock the lot back in about 15 mins.  It ended up a very short night out for me that night. 

While we're reminiscing anyone remember this circa 1977 (ish).

See the source image

T'was like nectar,

Still have a rather nice Queens Ale glass tanker and a pack of unopened Queens Ale beer mats.

Happy Daze suppin int Jolly Buffer.

Keep safe

&

Drink responsibly 8)

I've got a couple of tins in my fridge from our local shop that are 5%

On 21/11/2021 at 22:47, Rockers rule said:

Laugh, I was the same.

Then in 2005 became intolerant to Alcohol 😱

16 years alcohol free 25th Dec 🎂

Don't miss it, and although a total abstainer (not much option :bigsmile:)

not a preacher against alcohol, far from it, enjoyed my drinking daze :heyhey:.

Keep safe 8)

Rockers, what were your symptoms of alcohol intolerance? I've noticed recently after only a couple of pints I'm sneezing, can go a bit pink and my chest the next day is very wheezy and I cough quite a lot. I'm thinking of either going for some tests, or just stopping the booze altogether...

I'm sure that quite a few beers were stronger back in the day when I first started drinking in the mid 70's. I'm sure Newcastle Brown was stronger - my dad used to call it "feightin' beer" (meaning 'fighting beer', because people tended to get nasty after drinking it. I think Holsten Pils was stronger too - and I remember when Gold Label came in little bottles, not cans, and was called Barley Wine, not "very strong special beer'. I think a lot of these beers were not only stronger, but they tasted nicer too. I used to love Newcastle Brown - but now it just tastes like stagnant pond watter.

Another beer I liked back in the day was called Colt 45 and was described as 'American Malt Liqor'. It wasn't particularly strong, but had a really nice malty flavour. It was something a bit different - then it got changed to being just another bog-standard, bland canned lager.

1 hour ago, bungleboy69 said:

Rockers, what were your symptoms of alcohol intolerance? I've noticed recently after only a couple of pints I'm sneezing, can go a bit pink and my chest the next day is very wheezy and I cough quite a lot. I'm thinking of either going for some tests, or just stopping the booze altogether...

Wow.

Gradual over time to the point where every time I drank I was in nearly instant bad hangover mode.

Backed off a few times and stopped for short periods. 

Every time I made a comeback it took less alcohol to bring on feeling really ill and took longer (days) too recover. 

1/2 a glass of lager and I was in trouble for days, & my favourite tipple Bourbon became a No, No.

My last drink was less than an inch of Drambuie  and I left most of that.   (25th Dec 2005)

From what I remember my Doctor told me there are different levels and ways the body reacts to alcohol.

Your symptoms do sound the same as you'd find on an internet search.

(I ignored the part that said it can be genetic & usually common in someone with 'Asians heritage' :hihi:)

(And I'm sure as hell like gonna ask mi Mam - still got scars from the last time she hit me with the skillet :blush:)

You have answered your own question in many ways.

Hold back on the booze and have a word with your doctor. 

Try abstaining for a while, make a sensible return, see if the symptoms reappear.

Hope that helps Bungleboy.

Keep safe 8).

5 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

. I'm sure Newcastle Brown was stronger - my dad used to call it "feightin' beer" (meaning 'fighting beer', because people tended to get nasty after drinking it.

- but now it just tastes like stagnant pond watter.  

Another beer I liked back in the day was called Colt 45 and was described as 'American Malt Liqor'. It wasn't particularly strong, but had a really nice malty flavour. It was something a bit different - then it got changed to being just another bog-standard, bland canned lager.

(My abbreviations on the above)

Newcastle Brown was always know simply as Nutti Brown or more affectionately as - 😈 'the Evil Brew' 😈.

By Law it had to be drank straight out the bottle :suspect: 

There were a few of the 'Malt Liquor around the time of Colt 45.

'Breaker was another of the 'Strong Lager' 5%.

Remember all of the above well :blush:

Keep safe out there and drink responsibly 8).

29 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

I'm sure that quite a few beers were stronger back in the day when I first started drinking in the mid 70's. I'm sure Newcastle Brown was stronger - my dad used to call it "feightin' beer" (meaning 'fighting beer', because people tended to get nasty after drinking it. I think Holsten Pils was stronger too - and I remember when Gold Label came in little bottles, not cans, and was called Barley Wine, not "very strong special beer'. I think a lot of these beers were not only stronger, but they tasted nicer too. I used to love Newcastle Brown - but now it just tastes like stagnant pond watter.

My bold. 

I'm sure it's the same strength as it always was but I know what you mean about the taste, although I still like it ice cold in the summer months. 

I've got the following from Wikipedia; "In 2015, it was announced that caramel colouring, which has been used since the beer was launched, would be removed from the beer for health reasons. Instead, roasted malt would be used to darken the beer." 

That might be the reason for the change in taste?  I remember reading around that time that Newky was being pushed to the N. American markets & that the US deemed the caramel colouring unsafe by their standards but it would be uneconomical to have two separate productions runs / separate recipes, so the caramel colouring was removed from the whole lot. 

Talking about it being fashionable in the US.  Once clicked one of the characters in the 'Big Bang Theory' swigging out of what looked like a half pint bottle of Newky.