Compulsory Vaccination?

Compulsory Vaccination?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is it morally acceptable for a country to make covid vaccination compulsory for the general population?

• Yes, in some countries the situation in sufficiently bad that this can reasonably be considered.
    • No, while compulsory mass vaccination is not morally wrong under all circumstances, it is wrong for covid at this time.
    • No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.

14 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

And for goodness sake stop making it all about you. You've already demanded others go unmasked because of the difficulties the mere sight of them causes you.

I have never demanded other people take their masks off,  where have  I said that ? Though I would be lying if I said I wouldn't mind if they kept them on. I would mind very much, but I do not think people should be banned from wearing them. It's  a free country, or it was.....

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You really do not listen (or read I should say).

I will repeat, shutting down swimming pools would have a MASSIVE effect on my life. I suspect it would have no effect on yours.

You cannot possibly know that and it goes without saying I strongly disagree with you.

Remember all those "experts" : "Freedom day (in July) was irresponsible and could result in up to 200,000 infections a day ?"

Why do people still listen to these "experts" who have been wrong so often ? Normally people who are wrong as often as them would get fired.

I attend a gym twice weekly in a morning, virtually the same people have attended for the 7 years I've been there, some go every day and see it as a social thing as well as to keep some level of fitness, some of the people are quite elderly and this gets them out of the house, wanting to shut them is a dreadful response to a mild illness.

2 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

And the MASSIVE effect on your life is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

You are trolling now.

3 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

And the MASSIVE effect on your life is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

I'll reiterate: nothing too drastic, do the relatively easier things first. People should be asked to work from home where possible. Shutdown indoor sports venues and gyms. Tighten up on masking in indoor spaces. Re-emphasise social distancing.

You object to my potentially ambivalent misnominalization and then insult me ("call people names", "confident and well developed intellect"). Surely you recognise you're being hypocritical.

Masking doesn't work, its nonsense.

Just now, top4718 said:

I attend a gym twice weekly in a morning, virtually the same people have attended for the 7 years I've been there, some go every day and see it as a social thing as well as to keep some level of fitness, some of the people are quite elderly and this gets them out of the house, wanting to shut them is a dreadful response to a mild illness.

I agree totally Tops. People saying "shutting gyms and pools for public health reasons" mental as well as physical) do not realise how ironic they sound because FAR more people will die as a result of being unfit and/or over weight than will die of Covid. FAR MORE.

But the bottom line is that most of those saying "we should shut gyms and pools" probably don't even use them. HYPOCRITES.

7 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

I'll reiterate: nothing too drastic, do the relatively easier things first. People should be asked to work from home where possible. Shutdown indoor sports venues and gyms. Tighten up on masking in indoor spaces. Re-emphasise social distancing.

That won't work anyway as the virus becomes more infectious, but, more importantly, far more importantly, human beings are social animals, "social distancing" is VERY serious.

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I agree totally Tops. People saying "shutting gyms and pools for public health reasons" mental as well as physical) do not realise how ironic they sound because FAR more people will die as a result of being unfit and/or over weight than will die of Covid. FAR MORE.

But the bottom line is that most of those saying "we should shut gyms and pools" probably don't even use them. HYPOCRITES.

I see no reason to ban outdoor swimming at this point. You could swim at Hathersage.

5 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Masking doesn't work, its nonsense.

Yes it does, when sneezing or coughing the method of using an hanky or using your hand for cover is good manners and eleviates the spread of germs,  same reason for wearing a mask. :roll:

34 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

You object to my potentially ambivalent misnominalization and then insult me ("call people names", "confident and well developed intellect"). Surely you recognise you're being hypocritical.

It isn't an insult to point out that you call people names [in this case 'gullible conspirasheeple']

And presumably you would agree that calling people insulting names is fairly contrary to possession of a confident and well developed intellect?

And me pointing out that fact is not an insult.

So yes, I'm failing to see grounds for hypocrisy there.

48 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

The spreading of misinformation needs to be addressed. I am not in favour of censorship but gullible conspirasheeple who merely relay misinformation are a menace.

1 minute ago, onewheeldave said:

It isn't an insult to point out that you call people names [in this case 'gullible conspirasheeple']

And presumably you would agree that calling people insulting names is fairly contrary to possession of a confident and well developed intellect?

And me pointing out that fact is not an insult.

I disagree with every line of this.

Ooh look, a covid press briefing is coming. I wonder whether Plan B is about to be announced?

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

But what has changed is people's attitude to risk and death. It has been changing slowly for years, since the mid 1800s, but even before Covid it was accelerating, but Covid has turbocharged that. It is now illegal to have any rolling stock on British Railways if it has opening windows that someone could potentially put their head out of, that's how bad it is.  Remember even now, if one is vaccinated, or healthy and under 40, one is already very unlikely to die of Covid, yet we still have all these restrictions and even, apparently, a majority in favour of vaccine passports.

I desperately hope you are right, but I worry, for all those NHS employees (incl my wife), masks will be mandatory in hospitals forever.

So that other people who read your answer get the context. 

Other people aren’t as stupid as you think. 

Bother, after a bare few hours of advocating a bit of suppression I am back to being in the mainstream. Where's the fun in that?

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Other people  aren’t as stupid as you think. 

[I assume you mean people who are frightened of Covid despite being vaccinated, and/or they are in favour of more suppression of Covid]

I remain to be convinced of that.

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

>>Masking doesn't work, its nonsense.<<

Yes it does, when sneezing or coughing the method of using an hanky or using your hand for cover is good manners and eleviates the spread of germs,  same reason for wearing a mask. :roll:

Why don't you look at the facts ?

Do masks and vaccine passports prevent Covid illness and deaths ? (3 Dec 21)

England : No mask mandate since July, no vaccine passport
Scotland : Mask mandate still in force from last year, vaccine passport since 1st Oct (enforced since 18th Oct)
Wales : Mask mandate still in force from last year, vaccine passport since 11th Oct

Patients in hospital with a positive Covid test per million popn (on 3rd Dec 21)
England : 103.7 (the best)
Scotland : 118.5
Wales : 141.3

Deaths from any cause within 28 days of a positive Covid test
Last date for which full data is available is 26 Nov for Eng and Scot and 25 Nov for Wales.
Number of deaths 7 day average / per million popn =
England = 95.4 / 1.69 (the best)
Scotland = 10.6 / 1.93
Wales = 5.7 / 1.78