Compulsory Vaccination?

Compulsory Vaccination?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is it morally acceptable for a country to make covid vaccination compulsory for the general population?

• Yes, in some countries the situation in sufficiently bad that this can reasonably be considered.
    • No, while compulsory mass vaccination is not morally wrong under all circumstances, it is wrong for covid at this time.
    • No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.

1 hour ago, top4718 said:

I don't believe this is false, the only people I know of with covid at the moment are double or triple jabbed  and the vaccinated have spread the new variant around the world.

I agree with the proposition that the virus is till capable of spreading in the UK's highly vaccinated populaton. It's not quite what the bit in bold says but perhaps it is something we can both agree on.

The point is that in the absence of any acquired immunity, delta daily case numbers would balloon by 500% (or 700% or 900%) each week given the recent relaxed attitude to non-pharmaceutical interventions. Having the numbers grow or fall by 10 or 20% per week is tremendous testimony to the vaccines' effectiveness in controlling transmission.

16 pages.. Wow! 

Let me help you out. 

The answer is NO! 

Mandatory jabs is one step away from Forced jabs. 

Whilst I’ve taken advantage of all 4 of the free vaccinations I’ve been offered in the belief that I’m doing the best to protect myself I wouldn’t support compulsory vaccination. We’re fortunate to live in a country where we still have freedom of choice 

18 hours ago, top4718 said:

I don't believe this is false, the only people I know of with covid at the moment are double or triple jabbed  and the vaccinated have spread the new variant around the world.

As for Germany they should be the last country that are mandating medical procedures.

I'm not in favour of mandating vaccines.  But the vaccines are great.

The vaccines are not perfect at preventing infection, or in preventing its spread.   But they nonetheless do a good job of preventing infection, and in reducing its spread.  They also dramatically reduce the incidence of hospitalisation and death, and that's the really crucial thing in terms of why lockdowns and restrictions exist.

The reason the "only" people you know with COVID at the moment have been vaccinated is because - taking Sheffield figures, assuming you live here - in the region of 70% of people have been vaccinated.       As the number of people vaccinated increases, it's to be expected that the proportion of of the number of infections that are in vaccinated people will increase.    But by the same token, those people will be less ill than they might have been, are less likely to be hospitalised, and less likely to die.

19 hours ago, top4718 said:

As for Germany they should be the last country that are mandating medical procedures.

Seems like it's easily forgotten,

1"The voluntary consent of the human subject is absolutely essential.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejm199711133372006

There doesn’t seem to be any impending move towards this in the U.K.,but there have been so many U turns by the government so who knows.

So for the time being we can spectate as it is played out in Austria,Germany and wherever.I just don’t see how enforcement is possible and see it as a strategy to up the vaccine coverage in the interim period.

Laid back Australia seems to have gone a bit mad with restrictions. They have camps for covid victims and people with positive test results (and for perpetrators of covid misdemeanours.) plus swinging fines, and armed police on the street making sure the rules are obeyed to the letter. 

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

Laid back Australia seems to have gone a bit mad with restrictions. They have camps for covid victims and people with positive test results (and for perpetrators of covid misdemeanours.) plus swinging fines, and armed police on the street making sure the rules are obeyed to the letter. 

Yes here is a video with a first hand account of one of the internment camps. Note that these camps are not just for people with positive test results, but people who have been in contact with a person who has tested positive. The lady in the video tested negative through her entire 14 day internment, as did several of the other inmates.

7 hours ago, RJRB said:

There doesn’t seem to be any impending move towards this in the U.K.,but there have been so many U turns by the government so who knows.

So for the time being we can spectate as it is played out in Austria,Germany and wherever.I just don’t see how enforcement is possible and see it as a strategy to up the vaccine coverage in the interim period.

Enforcement is easy [see the above video]- the state sends police to the homes of refusers and places them into some sort of confinement until they agree to the vaccine.

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

Or maybe not.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/oct/27/charlie-kirk-show/australias-quarantine-facilities-are-travelers-not/

I think people are more concerned about Covid being an excuse to limit peoples freedoms and set precedents that will remain on the statute books long after Covid. I believe the British government are at this very moment debating whether to make protest marches/ gatherings illegal.

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I think people are more concerned about Covid being an excuse to limit peoples freedoms and set precedents that will remain on the statute books long after Covid. I believe the British government are at this very moment debating whether to make protest marches/ gatherings illegal.

I don't think you'll find Boris doing any work at this very moment.