Compulsory Vaccination?

Compulsory Vaccination?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is it morally acceptable for a country to make covid vaccination compulsory for the general population?

• Yes, in some countries the situation in sufficiently bad that this can reasonably be considered.
    • No, while compulsory mass vaccination is not morally wrong under all circumstances, it is wrong for covid at this time.
    • No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.

'general population' is another thing. 

I'm not sure how this is defined?

-

What is general population? Especially in a country in the EU! 

Personally, I don't know how to click any of the options.

First, I don't think it's possible, hence not thought about it. How is Austria going to make this work?  (unless someone can tell me what general population means)

Hopefully the virus will become more manageable in future, but at the moment it isn't. And even though people say, ''well only 10,000 people in hospital, it's under control now'', that's 10k people who need non-covid hospital care, who can't get it. 

Perhaps we could solve the entire problem with vaccine passports for now, that include an option, for ''I won't take it'', and then make hospitals passport only... instantly freeing up 7/8ths of the current covid beds. I fail to see how you can be in hospital with something that doesn't exist. 

6 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

'general population' is another thing. 

I'm not sure how this is defined?

-

What is general population? Especially in a country in the EU! 

Well, I know that a few special groups are already forced to get vaccinated like frontline healthcare staff or care workers so I wanted a term for the great mass of the population.

1 minute ago, *_ash_* said:

First, I don't think it's possible, hence not thought about it. How is Austria going to make this work?  (unless someone can tell me what general population means)

I don't know but surely how to make compulsory vaccination work is a different kind of a question. You could think it was moral but wholly impractical.

2 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Well, I know that a few special groups are already forced to get vaccinated like frontline healthcare staff or care workers so I wanted a term for the great mass of the population.

I don't know but surely how to make compulsory vaccination work is a different kind of a question. You could think it was moral but wholly impractical.

Forced... NHS workers... frontline... 

often these phrases are seen together. I have never heard of any nurse or doctor who says they won't have it.  There are obviously one or 2, and post on twitface. 

But then, the figures show 100k not vaxxed!!!! They aren't frontline workers though. It's conflating these words for effect.

What Austria is proposing can be nothing more than vaccine passports. Most countries already are thinking off, or already implemented these types of things. 

Certainly, I don't think it's morally wrong that anyone enters the country unvaccinated... so am I morally impaired here? 

I would expect to provide proof if I went anywhere else out of the UK too. 

4 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

What Austria is proposing can be nothing more than vaccine passports. Most countries already are thinking off, or already implemented these types of things. 

Not so. According to the BBC:

"Austria on Friday became the first European country to announce that Covid-19 vaccination would become a legal requirement. The new rules are set to come into force in February, as details of how the measure will be enforced are still being discussed."

( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59358074 )

Absolutely Not. It crosses a very important line. Insisting that someone inject something into their body that they don't agree with and without their consent is a definite no no, and sets a very dangerous precedent. What are they going to do, hold you down while they administer it? It's Your body, and your body is sacred. there's not much else that is these days. What you choose to do with it is up to you.

This is not the Black Death we're talking about here. The figures for deaths are actually a very small percentage of the population. Even if it were the black death I'm not sure the line should be crossed. 

21 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

Austria sounds like it may bring in compulsory vaccination for covid. I don't think the full details of what they intend are known but for the purpose of the question I suggest we assume that compulsory vaccination allows a few exceptions such as having a doctor certified medical exemption.

For background, you might want to look at https://ourworldindata.org/childhood-vaccination-policies . The link indicates that many democratic countries, including France and Italy, mandate certain vaccinations for children. A few countries, including Germany and the US, require certain vaccinations for school entry. Meanwhile some countries, including the UK, India and China, do no more than recommend vaccination.

One big problem with the poll is the term 'compulsory vaccination' because 2 seperate definitions are being used interchagebly in the debate i.e.

1. compulsory as it it being illegal to not have the vaccine

2. compulsory as in coerced- you don't have to have it, but, if you don't, you can't work, access education, travel, 'vaccine passorts' etc, etc

I voted option 3 [No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.] for both meanings of 'compulsory'.

10 hours ago, Anna B said:

Absolutely Not. It crosses a very important line. Insisting that someone inject something into their body that they don't agree with and without their consent is a definite no no, and sets a very dangerous precedent. What are they going to do, hold you down while they administer it? It's Your body, and your body is sacred. there's not much else that is these days. What you choose to do with it is up to you.

This is not the Black Death we're talking about here. The figures for deaths are actually a very small percentage of the population. Even if it were the black death I'm not sure the line should be crossed. 

Agreed

1 hour ago, cressida said:

Agreed

Same here.

I have just been reading this article saying it is pitting vaccinated against unvaccinated. Europe’s Covid crisis pits vaccinated against unvaccinated | eKathimerini.com

One part of the article says:

Starting Monday, Slovakia is banning people who haven’t been vaccinated from all nonessential stores and shopping malls. They also will not be allowed to attend any public event or gathering and will be required to test twice a week just to go to work.

They are looking at making it more and more difficult for people who have decided that the vaccination isn't for them, which is taking away their freedom of choice.

Where will it all end, when will they decide want to start implanting chips into people so we can all be monitored?

Edited by iansheff

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

However, I acknowledge it would be difficult to enforce lockdowns just for the unvaccinated. 

Easy if they really wanted to do it? The Government would need to bring in some form of ID, if they can do it for something as marginal as voting, surely they could do it for a deadly illness?

Vaccination shouldn't be compulsory - by all means let the under-educated lemmings who choose to believe what somebody on Facebook says over the weight of experience and professional knowledge of the worlds' medical bodies.  Free choice for the great unwashed and all that.

But, if they make that choice, let them suffer the consequences of losing their jobs and being denied access to public places and state resources.  They'd be doing their bit for society with a spot of social Darwinism.

Edited by Caswall