Compulsory Vaccination?

Compulsory Vaccination?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is it morally acceptable for a country to make covid vaccination compulsory for the general population?

• Yes, in some countries the situation in sufficiently bad that this can reasonably be considered.
    • No, while compulsory mass vaccination is not morally wrong under all circumstances, it is wrong for covid at this time.
    • No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.

Austria sounds like it may bring in compulsory vaccination for covid. I don't think the full details of what they intend are known but for the purpose of the question I suggest we assume that compulsory vaccination allows a few exceptions such as having a doctor certified medical exemption.

For background, you might want to look at https://ourworldindata.org/childhood-vaccination-policies . The link indicates that many democratic countries, including France and Italy, mandate certain vaccinations for children. A few countries, including Germany and the US, require certain vaccinations for school entry. Meanwhile some countries, including the UK, India and China, do no more than recommend vaccination.

Guest sibon

Not for me. 

I'm hugely pro-vaccine,  but I don't agree with compulsory vaccination. 

I can see circumstances where vaccine passports might be  acceptable as a short term measure to keep the economy open, but as a general principle I think that information and education are the way forward.

I would be in favour of banning anti-vax protests outside schools. 

No! 

Get vaccinated if you feel it's the right thing for you but to even suggest it should be compulsory is very wrong. 

Who was that? Who did that? Somebody just voted 'yes' ... I gave you two perfectly good 'no' options and you've gone and voted 'yes'. Was that you @The_DADDY ?

I'm joking ... vote how you like.

Compulsary or what?

What would be the punishment if you didnt want the vaccine? May be there would be exceptions for certain groups, like there is for mask wearing. That went well.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Compulsary or what?

What would be the punishment if you didnt want the vaccine? May be there would be exceptions for certain groups, like there is for mask wearing. That went well.

That's a good point. Is compulsory vaccination a measure that can be practically implemented? For the purpose of the poll, I intended that it could be made practical and was just asking about the morality.

9 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Who was that? Who did that? Somebody just voted 'yes' ... I gave you two perfectly good 'no' options and you've gone and voted 'yes'. Was that you @The_DADDY ?

I'm joking ... vote how you like.

OK. You busted me. 

I'm a secret jabfan. I just can't get enough pricks. 

😢

Holy Guacamole, half the votes see compulsory vaccination as acceptable. Erm ... I've just got a letter to write ...

Dear @The_DADDY, I am sorry to say I will not be able to attend your march against compulsory vaccination as most of you lot have not been vaccinated, won't socially distance or wear face maks and frankly some of those anti-lizard guys are a bit smelly. But be sure I'll be with you in spirit. Yours etc., ...

Not enough options in the poll, and makes the question too loaded, especially when using 'morally acceptable' in the question.

5 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

Not enough options in the poll, and makes the question too loaded, especially when using 'morally acceptable' in the question.

I don't follow ... what options would you have liked to see?

1 minute ago, Carbuncle said:

I don't follow ... what options would you have liked to see?

Other? Or something like that? I was thinking. 

1 minute ago, *_ash_* said:

Other? Or something like that? I was thinking. 

Ok, that seems fair.