Sign in to follow this  

Hp Printer Without Wifi

I have a HP5000 series printer, and a Dell with Win10  pc. I am fed up of the wifi failing  so i can't use the printer. I want to be able to use it without wifi.; But I don't know if I just a need a pc to printer cable or an ethernet cable. Can anyone put this old lady wise please in very simple terms?

10 minutes ago, Minimo said:

I have a HP5000 series printer, and a Dell with Win10  pc. I am fed up of the wifi failing  so i can't use the printer. I want to be able to use it without wifi.; But I don't know if I just a need a pc to printer cable or an ethernet cable. Can anyone put this old lady wise please in very simple terms?

@Minimo- an ethernet cable is all you need. 😀

Thank you, nice clear simple reply, just what I needed. Off to order one now.

1: If you wish to use it without wifi and not networked then you can connect it direct to the PC with a printer USB cable. One end into the printer and the other into the PC.

2: If you wish to use it networked then you will need an ethernet cable from the printer to the router. One end into the printer and the other into the router.

In both cases where the printer is situated will determine how long the cable would be.

Option 1 is the easiest for the normal home situation and there are several guides on youtube on how to do it.

Edited by Dromedary

@DromedaryThanks for spotting my elementary  mistake - must remember not to reply to questions before my second coffee of a morning.

read the manual before buying cables, they don't all come with ethernet ports, usb is more likely.

You may have usb or ethernet cables already, as they often come with printers and routers.

or diagnose the wireless issue, if it's vanishing after a set time, it may be a power saving issue, delve into the printer settings

Edited by fools

Delving is beyond me! Nice and simple every time. I actually think  I had a usb cable  but it must have got lost when I moved.  I'm really not a fan of wifi and as the printer and pc are just inches apart and the router is on the other side of the (very small) room  so a new usb cable might be the better option. Thanks so much. 

There are different types of usb cables, so get one that matches the ports on the back of the pc and printer.

shouldn't be too hard to find instructions or a video on where to find the power saving settings

Edited by fools