Social Media - Boon Or Blight. ?

One of the the problems with social media is that it provides a platform for wackos and nutjobs to spread their lies and misinformation. These people then influence the people that read them leading to things like radicalisation, anti-vax, civil disorder (think 6th Jan), etc, etc... You only have to look at the thread on coronavirus on here to see it in action. 30 years ago these people would be safely living in their mothers basement not harming anyone but now their influence can spread worldwide.

3 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Social media is OK I suppose. I didn't bother with Facebook or Instagram but i monitor my daughters accounts and decided to take the plunge and sign up to Facebook. Its OK. It can be fun if used in moderation. 

Hmmm... :huh:

Now there's a sentence that wouldn't have been allowed on the forum a few years ago... ;)

1 minute ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

Now there's a sentence that wouldn't have been allowed on the forum a few years ago... ;)

😂

I think it's a great tool and good way of keeping in touch with people far away.   It has kept me in contact with friends and acquaintances around the world who normally would naturally fade away through lost phone numbers, change of addresses or general disconnect.

As with all these things - it's about people's use of it sensibly and properly. 

One of the simplest things to always remember is that unless you have absolute private settings locked down on all your accounts on all networks, anything you put out there is public domain and classified as publishing.

That means that it is open to complete and utter observation by anyone who chooses it, criticism, complaint or in some cases legal action.

I have to keep raising this with some of my younger colleagues all the time. Never publish anything on a social media network that you would not be prepared to say direct to someone's face or be called out on forever more.

Things written down stick around for longer than any of our time on this planet. Just look back at your average archive, historical depository and now the wonderful world of the internet and see what is captured and is still there, perfectly preserved for anyone to dig back out and use against you.

In the words of comedian, Al Murray, "Social media is an idiot mine & you don't even have to put much effort into digging.  It's open-cast." 

NOT the one above, but the one removed

Edited by RollingJ

On 19/11/2021 at 13:01, whiteowl said:

One of the the problems with social media is that it provides a platform for wackos and nutjobs to spread their lies and misinformation.

Not sure what you mean by give them a platform, it does give them a place to meet and discuss, they then reinforce each others views.

Just like Bellfield winds up the rhetoric on YouTube.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/22/i-infiltrated-incel-forums-and-ive-never-been-more-scared-17428557/?ito=facebook|social|metroukfacebook