Basmati Rice

Any experts on here.

We get through a fair amount with curries.

Why is there such a range in prices for “Basmati Rice”

For example,Morrison’s stock at least 3 types.

The prices range from £1.80Kg /£3.00Kg/£5.40 Kg.

I have never tried a comparison test ,but what difference could I expect between the cheapest and one costing three times as much.

I store two basmati:

If you are making delicate dishes choose the top own brand(or Tilda etc. if on offer) also for fish, biriyani and pilaf.

If you are making a thick sauce, heavy, hot curry use any North Indian/Pakistan/Nepal basmati. 

Cooking properly will have more effect than what you pay.

Washing, soaking(10min )and using the right amount of water means that most of cooking is done by steaming,

There is definitely no need to buy any expensive gadgets as all they are doing is steaming.

Cheap plastic steamers that you put in the microwave are so much easier to use.

The expensive Basmati are usually more aromatic, less starchy, less absorbent, with longer and more consistent grains but easier to overcook.

These comments are decidedly British and for British styled dishes for which I make no apologies except that my former flatmate from north India had a large pan in which he threw two handfulls of rice. some salt, three mugs of water, heated on high until the water had gone, left it for five minutes then turned out the rice onto a plate. The remaining rice that stuck to the bottom was not removed and so a layer of rice would build up at the bottom. Superb!

Thanks for that Annie.

Your last paragraph is pretty much the same as my wife discovered in a book and works well .As you say it is mainly a steaming process and is quick and relatively foolproof. 

My use is solely an accompaniment to curry with sauce so I will stick to the cheaper options.

Supermarkets charge well over the odds for basmati rice. You can get good quality rice a lot cheaper in 5kg or 10kg bags at lots of Asian grocers, I get mine at World Class on Pitsmoor Road or Red Sea at Ellesmere Green. Wash it in several changes of water first to get rid of excess starch, do this until the water is clear. Then for best results cook by absorption.