My Family's Football History

This goes back to the nineteenth century where my Grandfather Marshall along with my Grandfather Ring lived and bred their respective families in Heeley. I opted for the Ring’s choice of the Owls, whilst my favoured grandfather followed the Blades, and could never understand my choice, even though he married a Ring. They lived a few terraced properties away from each other, the males played in Heeley football and cricket teams, and drank in the same pubs, I don’t share in the hatred stupidities as I have fond memories of both branches of my respective ancestors.

Cheers 😊

39 minutes ago, crookesey said:

This goes back to the nineteenth century where my Grandfather Marshall along with my Grandfather Ring lived and bred their respective families in Heeley. I opted for the Ring’s choice of the Owls, whilst my favoured grandfather followed the Blades, and could never understand my choice, even though he married a Ring. They lived a few terraced properties away from each other, the males played in Heeley football and cricket teams, and drank in the same pubs, I don’t share in the hatred stupidities as I have fond memories of both branches of my respective ancestors.

Cheers 😊

My dad was a huge Owl, never missed a match home or away, even had the privilege of attending 2 FA cup finals.  (1935- 1966)

Being a bit of a rebel, or should I say awkward sod, I decided to become a Blade.

I'm not a football fanatic, I'm a football supporter...

I want to see both Sheffield clubs winning and competing at the highest level.

I'm all for a bit of light hearted banter, but some of the insults thrown about on the footie threads beggars believe.

Father in law, ardent Wednesday fan, including away matches when he was younger, happily, lived within spitting distance of Bramall lane :suspect:.

We lived just as close, but, I'm from Scotland so we don't bother with football :huh:.

Keep safe 🙃

dad a wednesday supporter and worked the gate for many years,but once a owl,always a owl in my opinion,the good times will be back,and at the age of 66 ,i hope its sooner rather than later.

Cousin with 8 England youth caps.

Sister played for England Ladies team.

Family who played with Sheffield United, Rotherham, Stockport, Macclesfield.

Uncle who was the first player ever to do a lap of honour after scoring a goal at Wembley.

One of my family the youngest player ever to win the Junior Cup.

Quite a bit more but I don't like to broooange.

Granddad took us to United games and Wednesday games and I never knew he was a Wednesday fan until after he passed away.

Dad a Blades fan.

Both Blades and Owls in my family.

Edited by Alextopman

50 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Cousin with 8 England youth caps.

Sister played for England Ladies team.

Family who played with Sheffield United, Rotherham, Stockport, Macclesfield.

Uncle who was the first player ever to do a lap of honour after scoring a goal at Wembley.

One of my family the youngest player ever to win the Junior Cup.

Quite a bit more but I don't like to broooange.

Granddad took us to United games and Wednesday games and I never knew he was a Wednesday fan until after he passed away.

Dad a Blades fan.

Both Blades and Owls in my family.

That's very impressive Alex,

I always used to think that ROGETS had the finest football pedigree, not anymore.

My ancestors came from a farming background in Lincolnshire. Some came to Sheffield in the early to mid 1800's. Lived in Carbrook with many Aunts and Uncles and other relatives. Wednesday fans from day one in 1867. Absolutely devastated to discover that my family name was infested with a United fan when she shacked up with a Blade ont Parson Cross. First Blade ever in our family. 130 years tainted by someone who doesn't know, or realise the devastation they've caused. Their kids are Blades, so it's the end of football civilisation as we know it. It's their loss and I'm too old to lose sleep about it. Thank God they use the man's surname, so at least my Family Tree is still pure. Male footie fans know best.

Edited by Hotmale 1954

My paternal Grandfather was a Wednesdayite, more than likely because he lived close to the Owls Olive Grove ground.

Why my Dad became a Blade I don't know, probably because he didn't get on well with his father.

Dad first took me to the Lane in the early 50's. When I first took my lads the Blades were in the 4th division !

Born on the Manor, all my family are blades , all my street were blades when I was a kid, all my mates were /are Blades, all my school mates were blades. When i started work most of my workmates were blades then i had my own firm for 15 yrs and never knowingly employed any wed fans. You could say I had no choice and had to be a Blade but we did have a black sheep in the family one of my brothers (the elder one) is a wed fan why I don't know because most of his mates are blades,I think he got took to a wed game when young which twisted him and I couldn't do anything about it because I was only a baby at the time!!!

I still meet and go to the match with plenty of my original mates off the manor because we are a close and loyal bunch who would do anything for each other. I now work in west yorkshire and have to put up with Leeds fans as well as my boss who is a miller who even sponsors the bloody club, I think I would rather work with some wed fans............ well maybe not LOL

Well mines a mixed bag , Irish half  ( desendants) Blades, Gran ,grandad & ( mother-born in  Eng Married to the old man (English Owl) ) My  eldest Brother followed the unholy  Irish half 🤨=Blades but other brothers so the light "Owls" , my Dad & brothers x 5 -x 1 sister all Owls ( get in 👍) but seen both play but but dem Blades in red & white , but not for me Blue  white all the way.

Now Now Now ,  cross over Irish desendants my mothers brother born in Ireland ,married to a welsh lass 🙃 supporting  Cardiff --Owls 👏 all so complicated. 

Edited by owl.66

13 minutes ago, owl.66 said:

Well mines a mixed bag , Irish half  ( desendants) Blades, Gran ,grandad & ( mother-born in  Eng Married to the old man (English Owl) ) My  eldest Brother followed the unholy  Irish half 🤨=Blades but other brothers so the light "Owls" , my Dad & brothers x 5 -x 1 sister all Owls ( get in 👍) but seen both play but but dem Blades in red & white , but not for me Blue  white all the way.

Now Now Now ,  cross over Irish desendants my mothers brother born in Ireland ,married to a welsh lass 🙃 supporting  Cardiff --Owls 👏 all so complicated. 

Complicated !! my brains gone haywire.

Forget football, take up Crown Green Bowling........

4 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

My ancestors came from a farming background in Lincolnshire. Some came to Sheffield in the early to mid 1800's. Lived in Carbrook with many Aunts and Uncles and other relatives. Wednesday fans from day one in 1867. Absolutely devastated to discover that my family name was infested with a United fan when she shacked up with a Blade ont Parson Cross. First Blade ever in our family. 130 years tainted by someone who doesn't know, or realise the devastation they've caused. Their kids are Blades, so it's the end of football civilisation as we know it. It's their loss and I'm too old to lose sleep about it. Thank God they use the man's surname, so at least my Family Tree is still pure. Male footie fans know best.

Wow.

I suppose these are the hatreds and stupidities the OP is talking about.

Chill out.

Edited by Alextopman