Scattering Ashes

I had an email from a public park representative saying that they `discourage` ashes being spread there. Anyone any experience of this ? And, ideally, I`d like a tree planted or similar, SW Sheffield. 😞

They can "discourage" it all they want, in theory there is absolutely nothing stopping it happening.

It is a costly game!

We've come across this twice in as many years. The funeral director should really clarify things for you, but even they can "overlook" certain things! For example, we got stung at the "eleventh hour" when it was revealed that our departed one had a pacemaker, and that has to be removed before cremation. From memory, that cost us another £170-odd on top of everything else.

Again from memory, I think we paid another fee - circa £60? - for the ashes being allowed to be scattered, but note this was at the cemetery.

If you scroll down the page below, it's "clarified".

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/births-deaths-and-marriages/cemeteries-and-burials/bereavement-services-prices-2021-22.pdf

Edited by FoxLady

Too Much Red Tape,

discreetly scatter the ashes yourself, preferably on an early weekday morning when there are not many peaple about.

In my will I have asked for my ashes to be scattered on Ringinglow, above Hathersage.  I doubt my family will ask Derbyshire's permission. 

I burnt the plastic container with my fathers ashes in, I put it on a fire in my/our garden.

He is the only person I know  who has had two cremations.

I can hear him laughing now  🙂

A few years ago, it was the wishes of a relative that her ashes be scattered on the grave of her late mother & father.  So when her ashes were picked up the funeral director asked what we were going to do with them so we told him. 

He let us know that if we were spotted by any SCC staff while doing this & reported, we'd be looking at a charge in the region of £50 at the time.  Apparently you're supposed to inform SCC & have one of their staff observe the scattering & also pay for the privilege.

Hmmm.  Guess how we went about it? 

Edited by Baron99

5 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

A few years ago, it was the wishes of a relative that her ashes be scattered on the grave of her late mother & father.  So when her ashes were picked up the funeral director asked what we were going to do with them so we told him. 

He let us know that if we were spotted by any SCC staff while doing this & reported, we'd be looking at a charge in the region of £50 at the time.  Apparently you're supposed to inform SCC & have one of their staff observe the scattering & also pay for the privilege.

My mam did exactly the same with her brother on their  mam and dads grave 

SCC are very welcoming re-trees in parks ect,if that was a wish,,contact the parks dept,if the area has a  friends of group,they buy and plant trees in the park and our group at greenhill park only a few years ago help resue a big oak tree that was in the way of a new road,so the builder brought it and we planted it and it pleased everyone ,so just ask

Burt Reynolds was cremated on Sept 6th 2018.

His ashes were given to his niece, who fondly remembered him as Burn't Reynolds.

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

The same as we did😃