Why Can't I Read Or Watch Fiction ?

I cannot read or watch any fiction, but don’t know why. Many of my friends ask me if I seen this or that on tv but I just cannot believe in it. All I can think of is the actors in the make up room or trying their costumes on. Also I think of the tv cameras lining them up. I can only watch factual programmes like Police Interceptors , 24 hours in Police Custody, 24 hours in A & E  or  GPs behind closed doors or any programme about vets or farms. I feel as though I’m there with them while they are doing their job. I cannot understand why I am like this but is anyone else ?

I know this is from a year ago but... There is a thing called imaginative resistance where people are unwilling to engage in believing in created worlds usually due to some moral or deviant (read deviation) aspect. Eg., I can't believe this movie because it is so different to the book. In your case, I guess that would be the whole thing is lying to you because it is made up. 

On 22/01/2023 at 08:43, archaeobard said:

I know this is from a year ago but... There is a thing called imaginative resistance where people are unwilling to engage in believing in created worlds usually due to some moral or deviant (read deviation) aspect. Eg., I can't believe this movie because it is so different to the book. In your case, I guess that would be the whole thing is lying to you because it is made up. 

Do you watch detective fiction where you pit your wits against the likes of Poirot and Miss Marple to guess the killer before them?

I do n't like a lot of fiction either,  I've watched the tenants versus landlords on Star 5 last week,  and I enjoy the antique programmes.

18 hours ago, cressida said:

Do you watch detective fiction where you pit your wits against the likes of Poirot and Miss Marple to guess the killer before them?

I do n't like a lot of fiction either,  I've watched the tenants versus landlords on Star 5 last week,  and I enjoy the antique programmes.

No, I don’t watch detective fiction. I just imagine them getting made up ,having their hair done, and putting their costumes on ready to act, and learning their lines. I can only watch information films mainly medical or police on the motorway stopping drivers. Also like true life crime especially people who have gone missing and never found. My favourite programmes are GPs behind closed doors and 24 hours in A&E. I feel as though I’m actually there as it’s happening.

Pat,  I'm exactly the same as you.  I cannot watch anything that is made up.  I've always been the same from a very young age. I hated pantomimes 

etc.   Any fiction film bores me silly.   The same with books, I can only read factual books.  

I collected reference books,  cuts to the chase and is easier to access knowledge - especially doing quizzes/crosswords.

4 hours ago, francypants said:

Pat,  I'm exactly the same as you.  I cannot watch anything that is made up.  I've always been the same from a very young age. I hated pantomimes 

etc.   Any fiction film bores me silly.   The same with books, I can only read factual books.  

You are the only other person who is like me in this respect. I never watch Soaps and like you I cannot read fiction.  I’m a retired nurse so any medical programmes interest me. I like to learn something from a programme, and if an operation is being performed on tv, I feel as though I’m standing at the operating table with them. People say “ oh, I don’t know how you can watch that ! if an operation is going on, but I don’t know how they can watch fiction as It’s Not True ! Some people just cannot miss a soap, and I wonder sometimes if they think it’s true ! Right ! I’ve got that off my chest now ! Lol….

On 29/01/2023 at 20:16, pattricia said:

No not true in my case

On 31/01/2023 at 10:34, francypants said:

Same with me. I also cannot read fictional books.