Dolly Mooney

5 minutes ago, reg1 said:

I remember him having an argument with his wife and throwing the washing machine through the kitchen window. He said he threw it at her and missed. When we got to his house sure enough the window was broken and the washing machine was in the garden. He asked Bob to lend him some money to pay for it all. I remember  him in Scamps but he must have been a bouncer there after I last saw him around about 1976 or so but I could be wrong.

I would say Scamps would have been about 1978 -1979 or thereabouts.

He worked there with Joe Durrant.

The Manager was Dave Rothwell.

Edited by Alextopman

2 hours ago, reg1 said:

I remember him having an argument with his wife and throwing the washing machine through the kitchen window. He said he threw it at her and missed. When we got to his house sure enough the window was broken and the washing machine was in the garden. He asked Bob to lend him some money to pay for it all. I remember  him in Scamps but he must have been a bouncer there after I last saw him around about 1976 or so but I could be wrong.

Sounds a definite character!

My dad was born on jessamime Rd (I think that's how you spell it) His mum was Bertha Rose and her husband was Harry Rose. They moved later to The Oval in Firth Park. There was my dad and he had 4 sisters. Hope that helps!!

Bobby English and Fred Manners are both still around I meet Bob few times a week and Fred lives in Lincolnshire

23 hours ago, webbomaniac said:

Bobby English and Fred Manners are both still around I meet Bob few times a week and Fred lives in Lincolnshire

Bob goes in the Penny Black, I was told quite a while ago that Fred had passed away, good news if it isn't correct.

Hi my name is Maxine and my dad is Fred Manners, he is still married to Carole. He is still alive and physically very fit for someone in their 80’s!  He is still a character and everything I read on here was no surprise (apart from him passing away). 
I’m currently putting a book together to keep his brain active. If anyone has any pics or photos they would be willing to share I would appreciate it. Anything that my dad would relate to,  Bobby English, Dave Rothwell, John Wragg, Mercer brother of Woodseats cars, Jackie Hudson. Or places he would have visited, I appreciate he visited lots of pubs and clubs. He was a footballer, car dealer, bouncer and a drinker…

35 minutes ago, Maxi Dawn said:

Hi my name is Maxine and my dad is Fred Manners, he is still married to Carole. He is still alive and physically very fit for someone in their 80’s!  He is still a character and everything I read on here was no surprise (apart from him passing away). 
I’m currently putting a book together to keep his brain active. If anyone has any pics or photos they would be willing to share I would appreciate it. Anything that my dad would relate to,  Bobby English, Dave Rothwell, John Wragg, Mercer brother of Woodseats cars, Jackie Hudson. Or places he would have visited, I appreciate he visited lots of pubs and clubs. He was a footballer, car dealer, bouncer and a drinker…

I used to know your Dad he knew my Dad as well.

I remember him being a bouncer in Scamps nightclub and giving evidence in defence of my friends in a trial about an incident in there.

My Dad bought my Sisters first car off him.

I still see Bobby English.

Dave Rothwell was the Manager in Scamps, John Wragg Junior and Senior both Blades fans.

Your Dad boozed in the White Swan at Greenhill with Chris Benson [Goldfinger].

All this was in the late 70's early 80's.

I'm glad to hear he's still with us not everyone mentioned are still around..

Edited by Alextopman

Yes he was a bouncer and remained really close friend of Dave Rothwell until he sadly died. Bobby was a person that seemed to always be around when I was growing up.  We lived next door to the White Swan (conveniently) don’t remember Chris.  Can I ask who your dad is? How is Bobby because he’ll be a similar age to my dad. Do you have any Sheffield pics of places  or familiar faces? Sorry for list of questions. 

Sorry I have read again seems you knew him, who are you lol

1 minute ago, Maxi Dawn said:

Yes he was a bouncer and remained really close friend of Dave Rothwell until he sadly died. Bobby was a person that seemed to always be around when I was growing up.  We lived next door to the White Swan (conveniently) don’t remember Chris.  Can I ask who your dad is? How is Bobby because he’ll be a similar age to my dad. Do you have any Sheffield pics of places  or familiar faces? Sorry for list of questions. 

Bobby isn't too bad he goes in the Penny Black most days.

Amazing it’s great to hear he’s still around