Dolly Mooney

Hi, my father was Douglas Rose, his parents were Bertha Rose (née Whittle) and Harry Rose. They lived on The Oval in Firth Park. Apparently Brian and Jimmy Mooney were cousins of my dad. Does anyone have any info on Brian, Jimmy or Dolly Mooney with regards to our shared family history? Many thanks.

I knew Brian and Jimmy in the mid 70s though can't remember which  one was which. Think it was Brian that used to be a bit of a car dealer and used to appear at Woodseats car centre where I worked which is now a fast food place near The Big Tree. The other one used to have an antiques shop possibly somewhere near Crookes. Was Dolly their mother?

The one who had the antiques shop used to work for their mother and I remember a tale of when he got pulled by the police and he told them he did errands for his mother.

Mel

Hi, thank you. Yes Dolly was their mother and I think we are related through her. Unfortunately we are now the older generation with no one else to ask!

After around 45 years the majority of people I knew that they went about with will be long gone apart from possibly 3 that I remember and they would be in their late 80s if they are still alive and the other one would be around 70ish but not sure of his name. Think it may have been John Wragg. They had a car sales business around that time on the left hand corner of Broadfield Road as it meets Chesterfield road. The other 2 were Bob English and Fred Manners his friend. Bob was the salesman at Woodseats car centre.

Mel

57 minutes ago, reg1 said:

After around 45 years the majority of people I knew that they went about with will be long gone apart from possibly 3 that I remember and they would be in their late 80s if they are still alive and the other one would be around 70ish but not sure of his name. Think it may have been John Wragg. They had a car sales business around that time on the left hand corner of Broadfield Road as it meets Chesterfield road. The other 2 were Bob English and Fred Manners his friend. Bob was the salesman at Woodseats car centre.

Mel

Thank you. 

Dolly died some years ago, she lived at the bottom of Springvale Road.   Brian also died don't think he had been well for some time, he lived just up the hill from Dolly on Birkendale.

Used to see Jimmy quite a lot up to last year, he used to in Tesco on Berkley Precinct, I sometimes had a coffee with him, although he is older than me I had known him and Brian since the sixties.

Then I heard he had gone into a care home, the same one his wife Shirley was already in. Think it's called Prior Bank, it's on Cherry Tree Road at Nether Edge. 

On 05/11/2021 at 23:43, reg1 said:

Mel

Freddie Manners passed away quite a few years ago.

I think Bob English is still alive I saw him not long ago and haven't heard anything since.

Edited by Alextopman

Thank you for the info. Just trying to put all the pieces together. 

On 09/11/2021 at 14:48, Alextopman said:

Freddie Manners passed away quite a few years ago.

I think Bob English is still alive I saw him not long ago and haven't heard anything since.

Fred Manners was a right character. I remember a few things he got up to.

5 minutes ago, reg1 said:

Fred Manners was a right character. I remember a few things he got up to.

He worked at Scamps bouncing, sold cars and did many other things, he used to booze in the White Swan at Greenhill, we bought my sisters first car off him a Vauxhall Viva.

I know plenty more stories about him but they're not for on here.

18 hours ago, Alextopman said:

He worked at Scamps bouncing, sold cars and did many other things, he used to booze in the White Swan at Greenhill, we bought my sisters first car off him a Vauxhall Viva.

I know plenty more stories about him but they're not for on here.

I remember him having an argument with his wife and throwing the washing machine through the kitchen window. He said he threw it at her and missed. When we got to his house sure enough the window was broken and the washing machine was in the garden. He asked Bob to lend him some money to pay for it all. I remember  him in Scamps but he must have been a bouncer there after I last saw him around about 1976 or so but I could be wrong.