When And Why Is It Racist To Abbreviate A Background .

1 hour ago, Carbuncle said:

The thing that makes the term P*ki racist is not the fact it is a shortened form of Pakistani. I don't know what the original reason for it being considered racist is and I don't know even know if there was originally a "good reason" for it being considered racist . What I do know is that the term is resented by those it is directed at and frequently used by those who would choose to cause offence and that is more than enough for me to know to avoid directing it at people.

So the answer to the question which I have quoted is no, P*ki being a racist term does not mean Brit is.

Could be something to do with Partition from India , Our Sikh newsagent seems very angry if the situation is discussed .

The situation in India and Pakistan is very volatile.

As to Brit , when we worked on the building sites in Ireland we were referred to as much worse than the P word or the harmless Brit abbreviation .

Edited by cuttsie

30 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Could be something to do with Partition from India , Our Sikh newsagent seems very angry if the situation is discussed .

The situation in India and Pakistan is very volatile.

As to Brit , when we worked on the building sites in Ireland we were referred to as much worse than the P word or the harmless Brit abbreviation .

No,  it's that the work p*** was associated with a kicking, dog **** through the letterbox or some other form of abuse. Nobody is concerned because the name is shortened.

This, in 2021, cannot be news to people.

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

No,  it's that the work p*** was associated with a kicking, dog **** through the letterbox or some other form of abuse. Nobody is concerned because the name is shortened.

This, in 2021, cannot be news to people.

Sorry post need deciphering 

3 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

The thing that makes the term P*ki racist is not the fact it is a shortened form of Pakistani. I don't know what the original reason for it being considered racist is and I don't know even know if there was originally a "good reason" for it being considered racist . What I do know is that the term is resented by those it is directed at and frequently used by those who would choose to cause offence and that is more than enough for me to know to avoid directing it at people.

So the answer to the question which I have quoted is no, P*ki being a racist term does not mean Brit is.

Deleted

Edited by harvey19

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Sorry post need deciphering 

As does the poster.

36 minutes ago, crookesey said:

As does the poster.

Are you two just thick?

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Are you two just thick?

I can’t speak for cuttsie, but ask if ‘just’ means ‘now’, as it would be an incredible coincidence for the pair of us to lose our marbles at the same time.

40 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I can’t speak for cuttsie, but ask if ‘just’ means ‘now’, as it would be an incredible coincidence for the pair of us to lose our marbles at the same time.

What couldn't you understand? That a word to you might mean something different to somebody else? Or do you really believe they get upset because a word is abbreviated?

You know what I have a very good friend who is black and he went to secondary school in Rotherham in the early 80s.....

He told me he was the only black kid in the whole school and would receive daily racist abuse from the other children and a couple of teachers too.....

He told me he would be fighting this abuse physically and verbally on a daily basis on leaving school he joined the army and the racist abuse would continue he did state that if someone was:

Fat,ginger,scouser,irish,tall or skinny they would also get ripped to pieces too....

He then moved to a city where he was among black people and guess what they would use horrible phrases because he didn’t talk or act in the manner that they did !!!!....

One day he said the penny dropped and he realised that he wasn’t all these racist names or horrible phrases that people were calling him and he stopped reacting to it !!...

In-short many people receive many forms of abuse and many people do it for a reaction my friend in question stated:

“You should rise above it and prove them wrong by being successful in life” !!!!...

Edited by Box11

12 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

What couldn't you understand? That a word to you might mean something different to somebody else? Or do you really believe they get upset because a word is abbreviated?

Well at least you’ve let us know what we’re supposed to be ‘upset’ about, thanks for that.

11 hours ago, Box11 said:

You know what I have a very good friend who is black and he went to secondary school in Rotherham in the early 80s.....

He told me he was the only black kid in the whole school and would receive daily racist abuse from the other children and a couple of teachers too.....

He told me he would be fighting this abuse physically and verbally on a daily basis on leaving school he joined the army and the racist abuse would continue he did state that if someone was:

Fat,ginger,scouser,irish,tall or skinny they would also get ripped to pieces too....

He then moved to a city where he was among black people and guess what they would use horrible phrases because he didn’t talk or act in the manner that they did !!!!....

One day he said the penny dropped and he realised that he wasn’t all these racist names or horrible phrases that people were calling him and he stopped reacting to it !!...

In-short many people receive many forms of abuse and many people do it for a reaction my friend in question stated:

“You should rise above it and prove them wrong by being successful in life” !!!!...

One of the best responses yet.👍