Council Tax

Has anyone else moved house and found it impossible to get anywhere with changing their address for council tax purposes. I emailed them when I moved in June and had an acknowledgment. I then had a further email saying don't bother to email us again as it will just be ignored.  Meanwhile my bill is mounting, I don't know if I will be liable to pay it on both homes till one is sold.  I'm 74 and terminally ill and it is very worrying.

You imply that you still own both properties. If that's the case, then you will indeed likely be liable for both sets of council tax. That's different from a simple change of address.

7 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

You imply that you still own both properties. If that's the case, then you will indeed likely be liable for both sets of council tax. That's different from a simple change of address.

Not necessarily. There are at least some CT exemptions.

See https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/council-tax/council-tax-discounts-exemptions

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Thank you both. I've  had to sell my flat and move into a rented ground floor studio apartment (for health reasons) The flat is sold subject to contract but it seems to take forever to finalise the sale. So I'm paying  a hefty rent and my savings are dwindling fast. It really worries me that the council seem unable to do a simple change of address and let me get paying my council tax again. It is now into the sixth month since I moved.

We've had problems contacting the Council since a family member moved recently and we needed to inform them of a separate matter regarding a change to their details. The only way we managed to get things changed was by contacting our local councillor who then arranged for someone from the council to contact us. It could be worth a try with your council tax issues.

On 04/11/2021 at 08:46, Minimo said:

Has anyone else moved house and found it impossible to get anywhere with changing their address for council tax purposes. I emailed them when I moved in June and had an acknowledgment. I then had a further email saying don't bother to email us again as it will just be ignored.  Meanwhile my bill is mounting, I don't know if I will be liable to pay it on both homes till one is sold.  I'm 74 and terminally ill and it is very worrying.

Have you tried to set up the online account for the Council tax. My OH set an account up. It might enable you to change the address? 

I agree with the earlier reply, this isnt a "change of address". You will have two properties, abeilt for a short period. You will need to register at the new address as a new tenant/owner, and tell them that you are no longer occupying at the old address and see if this gives you any discount.

I did notify the council and the only response was an email saying don't contact us again! I think a call to a local councillor may now be necessary.

Indeed I suggest you contact your Councillor as soon as possible and hope they are not a waste of space you might also try citizens advice who may be able to help. Good luck

Thank you all. I have emailed one of the local councillors now, so hopefully I might get somewhere.

1 hour ago, Minimo said:

Thank you all. I have emailed one of the local councillors now, so hopefully I might get somewhere.

Just to add, I have had a very prompt reply from  the councillor and she sounds very nice and helpful so hopefully I might get it sorted now.