Who Supplies My Electricity?

As far as I my concerned, my gas supplier is British Gas and my electricity supplier is npower.  Last week I got three pages of letter from British Gas to tell me that they "need a meter reading so we can set up your account accurately before we start supplying your electricity on 13th October 2021." 

Having looked up npower, I find they are now part of E.ON.    So what is happening? 

Business is business. No matter who retails your power supplies, it's supplied by a wholesaler/producer.

And everyone's power comes via the same pipes/cables, no matter from which retailer!

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Hi Florence

I was with npower, then about 6 months ago, they wrote to me saying that they're tranferring me over to EON, no explanation or nothing. I sent them my meter reading - They sent me a bill & I nearly hit the roof. 

Good luck

Edited by Mister M

47 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Hi Florence

I was with npower, then about 6 months ago, they wrote to me saying that they're tranferring me over to EON, no explanation or nothing. I sent them my meter reading - They sent me a bill & I nearly hit the roof.  

Good luck

I was with npower and was transferred to eon my first bill was exactly the same as it was with npower no difference in all charges, only difference with npower I used to pay every 3 months now it's paid monthly.

40 minutes ago, kay1 said:

I was with npower and was transferred to eon my first bill was exactly the same as it was with npower no difference in all charges, only difference with npower I used to pay every 3 months now it's paid monthly.

Ever since my account was transferred over to Eon I keep getting text messages persuading me to allow them to fix a 'smart electricity meter', not sure if you've had the same from them? 

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Business is business. No matter who retails your power supplies, it's supplied by a wholesaler/producer.

And everyone's power comes via the same pipes/cables, no matter from which retailer!

Whilst your answer might be 100% correct, it's also 100% useless in this context. It's quite clear Florence it trying to find out who to pay the bills to.

3 minutes ago, altus said:

Whilst your answer might be 100% correct, it's also 100% useless in this context. It's quite clear Florence it trying to find out who to pay the bills to.

so am I no idea who my supplier is since the old one went bust .

22 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Ever since my account was transferred over to Eon I keep getting text messages persuading me to allow them to fix a 'smart electricity meter', not sure if you've had the same from them? 

EON along with most suppliers will only give their lowest tariff, if you agree to have a smart meter installed!!

11 minutes ago, zaci said:

EON along with most suppliers will only give their lowest tariff, if you agree to have a smart meter installed!!

The lowest tarriff at the moment is the standard variable rate which requires no smart meter 

In any case I really dont understand peoples aversion to having them. They dont fry your brain, you know.

34 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

so am I no idea who my supplier is since the old one went bust .

Who were you with before?

31 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Who were you with before?

avro

7 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

avro

Same. You’ll be with Octopus Energy now.