Sheffield Greenest City In The Uk

9 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

It doesn't even make the top 20 on this survey

https://www.comparethemarket.com/energy/content/greenest-cities/

I didn't check this site but checked another this morning with similar results.

Surprised me because years ago I thought Sheffield was supposed to be one of the largest per capita for Parks.

Any way who cares!

We know how good Sheff is, we don't need telling.

With living at Highfields we'd so many on the doorstep to choose from.

If we didn't end up after Skool in a park we'd end in one of the many Woods Sheffield is famous for.

Failing that we'd be up on Frankling St playing in the derelict houses or on the building sites around Lansdown.

something they expertly landscaped with even more green spaces & play areas.

The added bonus of the peak district is just the cherry on the cake 🍰.

Keep safe,

Enjoy 8).

I did say that it was a silly league table. :)   If anyone wants to make any casual comparisons they could start with these stats from Wikipedia: 

It has over 170 woodlands covering 28.27 km2 (6985 acres), 78 public parks covering 18.30 km2 (4522 acres) and 10 public gardens

I had a look at the table and it baffled me how Leeds has a population of 789,000. 

2 hours ago, Kidorry said:

I had a look at the table and it baffled me how Leeds has a population of 789,000. 

Because the city boundary is drawn in such a way that it includes Wetherby and other places. But it's the same way of measuring that makes people think Sheff is the 4th largest city in England and Manchester is smaller than that. Local authority boundaries are just one way of defining towns and cities and they often don't measure up to the reality of the 21st century.

But the district council boundaries are not particularly ancient. They do "measure up to the reality of the 21st century" (whatever that means!)

On 31/10/2021 at 11:03, Annie Bynnol said:

This result is not unexpected  or new. Is there a City in England you can get out of so easily to enjoy open space? 

Sheffield has long been had its 'Golden Frame' and its 'Round Walk'.

Their are guides etc dating back to at least 1971 that expound its greenery.

It is perplexing to read about the "...empty Peak District moorland..."  as if it was a negative or the "...pitifully low level of motor vehicle ownership..." as a bad thing. Sheffield is here because of the "happy accident".

How can you ignore the swathes of farmland, woodland and open field surrounding the majority of the city.

The "greening" of so many former industrial areas around Blackburn Brook, the canal, Don and Rother.

The abandonment of former industrial areas to become fabulous parks.

Is there a City in England where so many bus terminii are on the edge of openland eg 51 a hundred metres from Derbyshire or 95 and 120 and 52 etc.

Is there a City in England you can get out of so easily to enjoy open space? 

There is the "happy accident" of geography that has prevented the City sprawling out in all directions and forcing natural continuing  redevelopment  of many areas and suburbs.

The large city parks and the dozens of smaller parks (seem woefully underused) offer a different environment. Other green spaces with fatastic views like those from Arbourthorne Rec and traffic free paths above the Earl Marshall, around Wincobank Hill, Wardsend and Shirecliffe, river walks at Heeley, Neepsend, Beeley Woods, the canal and locks at  IKEA, Moss valley, Treeton etc. The reservoirs from Ulley right round to Stocksbridge. Riverside parks and new waterfront.

It happens everywhere that locals forget or ignore of what is on their doorstep. 

There is not a City in England of its size that has more varied and easily accessible countryside and soon global warming will provide what Sheffield misses most -a coast.

An Edwardian Sunday, Broomhill, Sheffield by John Betjeman

Your argument fails at your second sentence.

”is there another city in England”

The survey was in the uk..that’s all the dissolved nations..

Just to clarify..I lived in Sheffield for 60 years…and yes loved the easy access to countryside.

Consider Cardiff/ Newport in Wales…my new residence.

A half hour drive to the Brecon Beacons.

The countryside and views beats anything In Derbyshire.

Oh…just to add…we do have a coast on the doorstep.

I’m sure that those saying how good life in Sheffield is …..and I was guilty of the charge, haven’t experienced life elsewhere.

Ten years now since I left Sheffield.

Still enjoying life.

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, Allen said:

Just to clarify..I lived in Sheffield for 60 years…and yes loved the easy access to countryside.

I’m sure that those saying how good life in Sheffield is …..and I was guilty of the charge, haven’t experienced life elsewhere.

Still enjoying life.

I can only agree wholeheartedly with that. I love South Wales and if I could would move there tomorrow. You forgot to mention the South Wales Valleys. Many of them have a beauty of their own. I am jealous of you. 

(The folks in South Wales I have found to be friendly and welcoming as well). 

16 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

But the district council boundaries are not particularly ancient. They do "measure up to the reality of the 21st century" (whatever that means!)

Some people say they live in Sheffield even if they live across the border in one of the neighbouring local authorities. For them 'Sheffield' means the general area, or travel-to-work area, or the area they mainly identify with. 

It's the same elsewhere.

'Manchester' is a far bigger place than the authority which carries that historic name. 

Defining 'Nottingham' is even more complex with all those little boroughs clustered around which are basically part of the city but in local authority terms are not.

When people talk about 'London' they usually mean the huge 10million plus population conurbation (however you want to draw the boundary lines). They don't mean the 'City of London' or its neighbour the 'City of Westminster'. So London isn't a city at all if you insist it has to be treated the same as the councils of Sheffield, Manchester, Bristol etc.

I could go on. Using local authority boundaries as the sole definition of cities is problematic. There are often other things to consider. 

Before 1974 Sheffield was a much, smaller place and not nearly as "green".

2560px-South_Yorkshire_County.png

These claims are silly, not only because they are given and taken away at the stroke of a bureaucrat's pen, but also because nobody can be in two places at once - you can be at the city centre, or at Stanage Pole, but you can't be at both. 

Ive always thought that it was generous calling Sheffield a city when its more like a very large town surrounded by villages

It definitely sometimes has a town mentality  🤨

53 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Ive always thought that it was generous calling Sheffield a city when its more like a very large town surrounded by villages

It definitely sometimes has a town mentality  🤨

Think you might have that a little the wrong way round Grey.

Sheffield was a series of Villages (all with there separate identities) that gradually integrated into becoming townships that 'Hallamshire' took under its wing to become the 'City' of Sheffield we know today.

You might be right about the 'Town Mentality'! probably  because we lived at Highfields, when I here someone say they are from Sheffield then go on to tell you they're from Freshville for example my mind skips to 'No your not' :hihi:.

9 hours ago, Allen said:

Still enjoying life.

6 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

I can only agree wholeheartedly with that. I love South Wales and if I could would move there tomorrow. You forgot to mention the South Wales Valleys. Many of them have a beauty of their own. I am jealous of you. 

(The folks in South Wales I have found to be friendly and welcoming as well). 

Not knocking the beautiful countryside around Sheffield, but - 

With both of you on that one. although I'd include North Wales as well.

(And from a Scotsman that is some accolade :blush:)

I could never understand for the sake of a few miles more, so many Sheffielder's would rather go to Skeggi than Wales :huh:.

Portmeirion has to be somewhere that should be on everyone's bucket list.

Lottery's on, little secluded cottage some where, with land :thumbsup:

Keep safe 8)

Edited by Rockers rule
Spelling Ooop's

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Think you might have that a little the wrong way round Grey.

Sheffield was a series of Villages (all with there separate identities) that gradually integrated into becoming townships that 'Hallamshire' took under its wing to become the 'City' of Sheffield we know today.

You might be right about the 'Town Mentality'! probably  because we lived at Highfields, when I here someone say they are from Sheffield then go on to tell you they're from Freshville for example my mind skips to 'No your not' :hihi:.

Not knocking the beautiful countryside around Sheffield, but - 

With both of you on that one. although I'd include North Wales as well.

(And from a Scotsman that is some accolade :blush:)

I could never understand for the sake of a few miles more, so many Sheffielder's would rather go to Skeggi than Wales :huh:.

Portmeirion has to be somewhere that should be on everyone's bucket list.

Lottery's on, little secluded cottage some where, with land :thumbsup:

Keep safe 8)

Neither thanks, Northumberland please, for a few more miles but a bit less travel time 🙂