Hormone Replacement Therapy (Hrt)

A cut to the cost of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) prescriptions has been welcomed by campaigners.

HRT is used to treat the symptoms of menopause, such as such as anxiety, hot flushes and insomnia.

Labour MP Carolyn Harris was pushing for a law to make the menopause treatment free in England.

The government would not go that far, but said women would only have to pay for the prescription once a year - saving up to £200 annually.

Ms Harris welcomed the move and thanked "menopause warriors" for their support.

I am a healthy male, so I know very little about HRT and prescriptions, but I am wondering what the male equivalent is and what other ilnesses get this reduced cost treatment?

My testosterone is low, will I get the same favourable treatment?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59088557

4 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Good old Tories eh 

Do people with diabetes get the same help with prescriptions?

13 hours ago, El Cid said:

A cut to the cost of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) prescriptions has been welcomed by campaigners.

HRT is used to treat the symptoms of menopause, such as such as anxiety, hot flushes and insomnia.

Labour MP Carolyn Harris was pushing for a law to make the menopause treatment free in England.

The government would not go that far, but said women would only have to pay for the prescription once a year - saving up to £200 annually.

I am a healthy male, so I know very little about HRT and prescriptions, but I am wondering what the male equivalent is and what other ilnesses get this reduced cost treatment?

I can answer that it's TRT and yes you might get favourable treatment I do, I've been prescribed it for the past  6years free.

Edited by steve68

10 hours ago, El Cid said:

Do people with diabetes get the same help with prescriptions?

Free prescriptions for certain medical conditions

People with certain medical conditions can get free NHS prescriptions.

Medical exemption certificates are credit-card-size cards. They are issued if you have:

• cancer, including the effects of cancer or the effects of current or previous cancer treatment
  • a permanent fistula (for example, a laryngostomy, colostomy, ileostomy or some renal dialysis fistulas) requiring continuous surgical dressing or an appliance
  • a form of hypoadrenalism (for example, Addison's disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
  • diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
  • diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
  • hypoparathyroidism
  • myasthenia gravis
  • myxoedema (hypothyroidism requiring thyroid hormone replacement)
  • epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
  • a continuing physical disability that means you cannot go out without the help of another person (temporary disabilities do not count, even if they last for several months)

14 hours ago, El Cid said:

Why do you wonder that? Is that how it works, women get a reduction in medical treatment costs for a specific need, so men deserve something in return?

Bizarre thinking, at best.

If you're feeling hard done by, get campaigning.

7 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Why do you wonder that? Is that how it works, women get a reduction in medical treatment costs for a specific need, so men deserve something in return?

Is it a medical need, both sexes have reducing hormones later in life. I suffer from male patterern balness, can I get free NHS treements for that?

Male pattern baldness refers to a loss of hair on the scalp in men. It happens as hormone levels change over a man's lifetime, and especially in the later years. It is thought to affe half of all men by the age of 50 years.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Is it a medical need, both sexes have reducing hormones later in life. I suffer from male patterern balness, can I get free NHS treements for that?

Male pattern baldness refers to a loss of hair on the scalp in men. It happens as hormone levels change over a man's lifetime, and especially in the later years. It is thought to affe half of all men by the age of 50 years.

I have plenty of testosterone , if you want some . 

Guest sibon
5 hours ago, El Cid said:

You appear to be suffering from reality awareness deficit syndrome. 

You could probably claim on your private medical insurance . HTH.

2 hours ago, sibon said:

You appear to be suffering from reality awareness deficit syndrome. 

You could probably claim on your private medical insurance . HTH.

I dont have private medical insurance, what should my next step be?

Guest sibon
6 hours ago, El Cid said:

I dont have private medical insurance, what should my next step be?

You could try contacting admin to ask them to delete this embarrassing thread.

5 hours ago, sibon said:

You could try contacting admin to ask them to delete this embarrassing thread.

I like to stimulate debate, if I have failed on this occasion that is fine.