Whos Got The Best Local Market

Guest busdriver1
10 hours ago, kidley said:

nobody has mentioned rovveram on wednesdays, if you like Chesterfield market you will like rotherham, a lot of Chesterfield stallholders go there to ply their trade. 

Also Chesterfield market is not a patch on what it was about 10 years ago.

I agree but expecting Sheffielders to go to Rotherham? REALLY?

Edited by busdriver1

On 30/10/2021 at 09:20, cuttsie said:

Barnsley on a Tuesday , rag and tag day , In the last month I have purchased , A Roberts radio £2 now  in bin but saved Ariel , A Danset record player  £3-50, It plays at around 15 revs a minute but has a box of  needles. A sawing machine ,make Newhome £6 , It works some times but needs further adjustments a work in progress . A Pilots flying suit£2  complete with WD numbers, already a hit as three blokes have asked me where I got it from , Seems to be a few repaired holes in various places that adds to its ambiance.

These purchases have given me hours of pleasure trying to get em going but need a new shed as I cannot get through door .

Sounds more like a car boot sale than a market. I find the Sheffield market a bit hit and miss, the cheese, olives and beer places are great, the rest of things on offer either seems a crazy case of duplication (I'm sure there are four butchers all in a row, all competing with one another), hairdressers or tat.

Then again, I only popped in about once a month for a nose before lockdown and since then I've been working from home and haven't missed it at all.

2 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

Sounds more like a car boot sale than a market. I find the Sheffield market a bit hit and miss, the cheese, olives and beer places are great, the rest of things on offer either seems a crazy case of duplication (I'm sure there are four butchers all in a row, all competing with one another), hairdressers or tat.

Then again, I only popped in about once a month for a nose before lockdown and since then I've been working from home and haven't missed it at all.

sounds just like a market

Aye because no other market in the world has a row of butchers, or a row of greengrocers.

I can't say that anything in Chesterfield market has ever set my pants on fire, but then I'm yet to experience the Thursday crap fest. 

I go to the Moor Market on my lunch break most days and it's far better than the grotty, fish-stinking one it replaced. 2 good fishmongers, cheese shops, an olive man, butchers and greengrocers. It's pretty much all I need from these places. I've also bought beer, superglue, bird food and a thimble. 

What it could do with though is a really good baker. Turners is ok if you want a white breadcake, but I'm a bit more sophisticated.

5 hours ago, rabbitfluff said:

What it could do with though is a really good baker. Turners is ok if you want a white breadcake, but I'm a bit more sophisticated.

I really like the bread from Forge Bakery on Abbeydale Road, it would be great if they had a stall in the market, although I feel the market perhaps doesn't attract enough of their target audience,  and I don't mean to sound snobby when I say that... but I might be wrong. They used to have a stall in Sheffield Station and it seemed to do a roaring trade... The ciabatta and focaccia they make are delicious...

On 02/11/2021 at 20:45, kidley said:

nobody has mentioned rovveram on wednesdays, if you like Chesterfield market you will like rotherham, a lot of Chesterfield stallholders go there to ply their trade. 

Also Chesterfield market is not a patch on what it was about 10 years ago.

Years ago I would have agreed with you Kidley.

Not so sure now.

Very clique stall holders (Outside market)

I always got the impression newbies weren't welcome, which explains the many empty stalls even before Covid.

Changed a lot when the couple who sold 4 items for a £1 stopped trading, and another stall holder, a very good mate of mine suddenly died.

Prices took a hike a while ago and stall holders seem to want to stick to their prices where haggling (unless my skills of blagging has diminished) used to be the norm for buying :sad:.

Definitely more of a car boot / flee market on a Wednesday though.

The indoor market has some pretty good butchers in there, especially one of those on the top landing - excellent quiche and cut meats at reasonable prices.

Sea food. The little shop (with the friendly owner) next to the stairs on the ground floor, again there ain't much they don't stock. Cockles, Bag, tripe, etc, etc, etc and my favourites  Whelks and Jellied  Eels although the accolade 'Poor mans Salmon' hardly stands anymore - have you seen the price of Eels? ? 

With Covid still running rife in Rotherham it's a place I shall probably hold off from for a while.

Keep safe out there 8)

but it would be nice to have a flee market in sheffield and before you all say tat,theres some nice stuff at chesterfield ,gold,silver and some nice jewelery and collectables,

people who call it tat,are incorrect as some pieces are collectable,others like/gold silver are not tat,i am positive it would increase footfall in sheffield,also look at the add ons we could do like chesterfield a couple of kids rides,a few other stalls,odd singer,then we could have days like they have with music/singers from the 40s,50s,60s, it would more than pay for its self and all the shops,coffee houses ect would be busy like chesterfield is

29 minutes ago, bassett one said:

flee market

Those days have flown - a bit like fleas

On 30/10/2021 at 15:25, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

And is almost as easy to get to by public transport... :hihi:

Public Transport, what is that?

yes it does not help the market,the buses are not what they were,but they are having a funfair type day,but thats costly to mums,why not put the rides on free,its easy to do,do a deal with the funfair,put say a few rides free for the toddlers and that would draw in extra customers/familys

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

yes it does not help the market,the buses are not what they were,but they are having a funfair type day,but thats costly to mums,why not put the rides on free,its easy to do,do a deal with the funfair,put say a few rides free for the toddlers and that would draw in extra customers/familys

Who pays for it? 

It might draw in extra footfall but does that footfall necessarily translate to spending. Will it be a simple case of everyone piling down to play on the free rides and go home again.

It may well be a simple step to take but someone has to pick up the tab.  If a local authority did it they would be massively criticised about squandering already limited public funds and I can't exactly see the stall holders jumping  to chuck in some coin to pay for a free funfair

Edited by ECCOnoob