Whos Got The Best Local Market

IN MY MIND my vote goes to chesterfield its top class,been today packed,great atmosphere ,happy people ,great prices,i think sheffield need to pinch some of there  ideas ,in my opinion,what do other folk think?

42 minutes ago, bassett one said:

IN MY MIND my vote goes to chesterfield its top class,been today packed,great atmosphere ,happy people ,great prices,i think sheffield need to pinch some of there  ideas ,in my opinion,what do other folk think?

We used to have one didn’t we, but again the stupid council struck, it was removed and for years after that its footprint was just a car park.

what i liked its joined up/old type and new,plus special days put on todays was the 40s days,with music/dance and more,we need somthing like that at sheffield

The dreadful Castle Market lost me and most of its customers and put Sheffielders off going to markets. It was closed thirty years too late. Got diddled three times in one day-1. Asked for the advertised fresh lamb-got thawed. 2 The rotten tomatoes hidden at the bottom of the bag broke through. 3 The cloth priced in metres was measured out in yards.

First-Doncaster- the best for fish and meat and lots of interesting tat.

Second-Barnsley-pies, bacon and black pudding, work shirts and caps.

Third-Sheffield-Cheese and fish is more plentiful and varied in the new Market. Tip -watch where and what the Chinese buy.

Fourth-Chesterfield- nothing of interest.

If in the area Bury is a must.

Out of Chesterfield and Sheffield, I'd agree Chesterfield for me every time.  And it's not fully back to its pre-Covid level yet, either.  I'd welcome opinions on other markets - Rotherham, Barnsley etc.

2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The dreadful Castle Market lost me and most of its customers and put Sheffielders off going to markets. It was closed thirty years too late. Got diddled three times in one day-1. Asked for the advertised fresh lamb-got thawed. 2 The rotten tomatoes hidden at the bottom of the bag broke through. 3 The cloth priced in metres was measured out in yards.

First-Doncaster- the best for fish and meat and lots of interesting tat.

Second-Barnsley-pies, bacon and black pudding, work shirts and caps.

Third-Sheffield-Cheese and fish is more plentiful and varied in the new Market. Tip -watch where and what the Chinese buy.

Fourth-Chesterfield- nothing of interest.

If in the area Bury is a must.

Agreed - Bury's market is fab.

I like Kirkgate market in Leeds too.

The Moor market is so much better than the stinky one on Waingate. There was even a thread on here when the council wanted to demolish it, called 'Leave our market alone!' :hihi:

Not really local, but Leeds is tremendous.  Last time I went you could sit in the food court bit with a pint listening to the live band. Great atmosphere and range of products.  

(Sorry Mister M, I was just typing mine out when your bit about Kirkgate Leeds popped up. )

Edited by bungleboy69

4 hours ago, lazarus said:

We used to have one didn’t we, but again the stupid council struck, it was removed and for years after that its footprint was just a car park.

Behave, the old Castle Market was terrible for at least the last 20 years of its life.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Behave, the old Castle Market was terrible for at least the last 20 years of its life.

Used to go every Saturday up until the early 90's.

Then I learned to drive and started using supermarkets.

the nice thing about chesterfield its all together in a compact area

2 minutes ago, bassett one said:

the nice thing about chesterfield its all together in a compact area

I worked in Chesterfield for circa ten years in the 60’s/70’s, everything has always been easy access due to it’s historically square town centre, unlike Sheffield’s equally historically long and winding city centre.