Dame Maureen Lipman

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59062314?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Actress Maureen Lipman has become the first dame of Coronation Street, after receiving the honour from the Prince of Wales at Windsor Castle.

She is the first serving actor in the ITV soap's 60-year history to receive a damehood or a knighthood.

The 75-year-old has played Evelyn Plummer since 2018, part of a career spanning more than 50 years.

Edited by cressida

She’s good in Coronation Street.  

I remember her in the BT adverts, she was so proud of her Grandson when he managed to get an ology in his exams, he failed most of them.

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

…but has she got an ology?

She did have one but it fell off

19 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

Being a dame means nothing these days, they hand damehoods out like Metro newspapers.

I agree. I do think some NHS staff who have worked endlessly throughout the pandemic also deserve a reward for their services.

I wouldn't want to be called a Dame,  but I agree that the NHS nurses who have been putting their lives at risk are so worthy of more recognition

14 minutes ago, cressida said:

I wouldn't want to be called a Dame,  but I agree that the NHS nurses who have been putting their lives at risk are so worthy of more recognition

Also a lot of home care workers have worked tremendously hard, and are very underpaid.

NHS desperately need more staff,   HGV drivers are being paid more and so should the nurses imo

She is the first to receive a damehood while working on Corrie, but Ian Mckellan was already a knight of the realm when he appeared

2 hours ago, cressida said:

NHS desperately need more staff,   HGV drivers are being paid more and so should the nurses imo

I agree with this post !

Dames, Knights, it's all a Relic of the past. I can never understand when "celebs" and "entertainers" get these honours. What for exactly? I genuinely want to know. 

Why is it that the people who matter are always overlooked? the workers who spend their entire working life with one employer, they gave or give loyalty from the very first day on the job, some worked in atrocious conditions but they carried on, I do realise that people have to be nominated for an award but why do the majority have to be from the entertainment industry, Mary Berry getting an award is just a joke, “ services to cooking” ??, I doubt very much she had to be at her workplace at five or six o’clock in the morning, my mother had to be at work at six a.m. six days a week, one winter the snow was so bad the buses and trams stopped running and she walked to work from the Manor Estate to Woodseats, my Mrs and I walked to Ecclesfield a couple of times due to icy weather.