Rishi Sunak's Budget, October 2021

Have they done owt to stop the money launderers and off shore fund gangsters who are  the top tax avoiders  this as well as mixing with the so called good and great who are in the top jobs running the Country .

15 hours ago, Mister M said:

I'm surprised that no-one on here has commented about the strategy of austerity.

When the Conservatives were elected in in 2010 they made much about the terrible debt and deficit 'that Labour had caused' (the global banking crisis). They and their supporters on here said 'we need austerity, we need to balance the books, we need austerity'. EG: Is austerity working- and will it ever end? - General Discussions - Sheffield Forum

Now in 2021, government debt, and the government deficit is much higher than it was in 2008/9. Yet the Chancellor today said there will be 'no more return to austerity', and indeed has announced an increase of £150 billion of public spending increases, saying that we need to invest and grow our way out of debt.

What's with this 180 degree turn?

The banking crisis made the perfect excuse to 'roll back the state' and cut everything to the bone, that's just what they wanted to do anyway. And if you can blame Labour for it at the same time, it's an added bonus!

Now they are using the Pandemic as the perfect excuse to hide behind for everything else.

In case you hadn't noticed, the Tories lie shamelessly and are the masters of spin. They're good at it, they've had years of practice. We poor plebs seem to have a built in forelock tugging deference for the nobs, even though they'd sell us down the river without a second thought.

Yet Labour, who are on their side, have to fight every step of the way to secure any sort of a foothold in the affections of the electorate, and are easily disparaged in the hostile media.  

Analysis of this budget seems surprisingly thin on the ground. I'm betting that when it's disected it will prove to be very much in the interests of the already rich....  

11 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The banking crisis made the perfect excuse to 'roll back the state' and cut everything to the bone, that's just what they wanted to do anyway. And if you can blame Labour for it at the same time, it's an added bonus!

You're a fool if you think Labour wouldn't have done the same

Alistair Darling: we will cut deeper than Margaret Thatcher
Thinktank warns of 'two parliaments of pain' with spending slashed by 25% to repair black hole in finances

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/mar/25/alistair-darling-cut-deeper-margaret-thatcher

19 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Being tough on those who claim benefits, who don't work and are capable of work should be applauded by all normal hard working people regardless of the price of fish.

It's irrelevant that Boris campaigned for Brexit.  Brexit is a democratic choice and the job of our government after the referendum vote was to implement that democratic choice the British people made.  Normal people including upright remain voters respect that democratic choice the British people made.  It's only the undemocratic not normal types and the old washerwomen types who are still complaining about Brexit.

That Brexit is going to cost the country 4% of its GDP is not irrelevant to Rishi Sunak's budget.

Yes of course Rishi is fabulously wealthy, and so can afford to sit on top of the social strata, look down at the electorate and say money doesn't matter, but you're not so wealthy - so why are you defending him?

In fact why are you blaming benefit claimants at all? Many of whom are stuck at home, having to claim Universal Credit, while they care for loved ones 24 hours a day 365 days a year - and they've just had £20 a week swiped from them.

It was only a matter of weeks ago that you, rather disgracefully, were castigating families for seeing relatives in care homes, rather than looking after them themselves. Yet here you are again, castigating them for what you allegedly praised them for a couple of weeks ago

Of course, it's easier to sit on your high horse and moralise than it is to put your hand in your pocket. You might like to think your 'normal and upright', I beg to differ. 

And many people on here will continue to complain about Brexit - that is our democratic right. It's cost the country billions upon billions, and it's going to cost the country billions and billions more with each passing year. In money terms, it's like being hit with 2 pandemics each year, according to the OBR. The consequences of Brexit are going to last long after the vote - it's people's democratic right to talk about it, you're not going to stop them.

Blame everyone else  - immigrants, benefit claimants, 'anti Brexit mob', all the while you're sucking up to those who've made you poorer.

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

You're a fool if you think Labour wouldn't have done the same

Alistair Darling: we will cut deeper than Margaret Thatcher
Thinktank warns of 'two parliaments of pain' with spending slashed by 25% to repair black hole in finances

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/mar/25/alistair-darling-cut-deeper-margaret-thatcher

That's why I was so critical of Blair's government, and such a strong supporter of Jeremy Corbyn who wanted to do things differently- for the many not the few.  And he had the integrity, backbone and drive to do it.

Unlike Starmer who is just another Neoliberal and won't change anything.

So yes, you're probably right. But where does that leave us?

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

So yes, you're probably right. But where does that leave us?

With a considerably smaller amount of money as a % of the economy being spent on the day to day running of public funded organisations such as councils, compared to 2010. Which leaves the public purse in a better position to borrow than before; borrow to invest, not borrow for a myriad of wasteful public spending schemes that have no return.

18 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's irrelevant whether Britain will  either  be better or worse off economically  as a consequence of the democratic choice the British electorate made. 

Hardly. When we have a referendum about rejoining the EU, it will be important for the voters to understand the economics of the two choices.

1 minute ago, West 77 said:

You're deluded.  There will never be another national referendum regarding anything in either your or my life time.  

No, no, democracy is good. It's been five years, I think we need another vote.

34 minutes ago, West 77 said:

More old washerwomen style codswallop. The debate regarding Brexit should have ended on Friday 24th June 2016 when the EU referendum result was announced. It's irrelevant whether Britain will  either  be better or worse off economically  as a consequence of the democratic choice the British electorate made.  Anyone born in Britain or any foreigner currently living in Britain has effectively won the lottery because Britain is the 5th Largest economy and the most fairest and tolerant country on earth.

I don't have a problem with anyone claiming whatever benefits are available who have given up paid work to look after either family members or partners. However, the truth is the vast majority who are  fit to work and choose not to work are not acting as carers and preventing love ones from going into care homes.  I support the Government getting tougher on benefit scroungers such as using drones to supervise who is trading at Antiques Fairs and Car Boot sales.  Other measures should also be taking to catch the benefit scroungers in our country.

No it's not irrelevant that the cost of Brexit will be 4% of UK GDP - that's you, me and everyone else will be poorer - a lot poorer. If we don't understand how and why people voted to make themselves poorer; then the country could be in danger at some future point to lying, stupid newspapers and politicians.

Of course there will be a small minority who abuse the benefit system - but those numbers are dwarfed by those who don't claim benefits but feel put off because they don't want to be smeared. Most people of working age who claim UC are in work, but whose employers don;t pay them enough to live on -  and of course the biggest loss to the treasury isn't from scroungers it's from tax cheats.

Just now, West 77 said:

Yawn.

Shouldn't you be busy doing your knitting?

You've lost the argument so you resort to insults,  but is that the best you can do? Pathetic really

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Yawn.

The argument ended on Friday  24th June 2016 when it was announced the democratic UK electorate had voted to leave the EU.  I hope you're using the correct size needle for your yarn.

As was pointed out earlier, democracy doesn't stop when you deem it to be inconvenient.

However I'm glad that you're here to put forward the Brexit argument - what with all the problems and economic woes that this country is and will endure; I feel there'll be a lot of anger coming your way.

I look forward to reading your contributions, especially if they're anything like the one you made yesterday in blaming immigrants for the fact that water companies are dumping raw sewage into our rivers and seas. It will be most amusing.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

More old washerwomen style codswallop. The debate regarding Brexit should have ended on Friday 24th June 2016 when the EU referendum result was announced. It's irrelevant whether Britain will  either  be better or worse off economically  as a consequence of the democratic choice the British electorate made.  Anyone born in Britain or any foreigner currently living in Britain has effectively won the lottery because Britain is the 5th Largest economy and the most fairest and tolerant country on earth.

I don't have a problem with anyone claiming whatever benefits are available who have given up paid work to look after either family members or partners. However, the truth is the vast majority who are  fit to work and choose not to work are not acting as carers and preventing love ones from going into care homes.  I support the Government getting tougher on benefit scroungers such as using drones to supervise who is trading at Antiques Fairs and Car Boot sales.  Other measures should also be taking to catch the benefit scroungers in our country.

Wow. You seem to know the circumstances of every benefit claimant in the country! We should have you running the shop.

Perhaps I should give up my job to look after my ailing parent. Then people like you won't be able to get the healthcare you want because I'm not there to give it, and I've just made my department even more short staffed. 

Then you can complain about waiting times for treatment of your ailment, whilst I stay at home all day as a caregiver.