Rishi Sunak's Budget, October 2021

22 hours ago, Longcol said:

Even if someone supped 50 pints a week they wouldn't save enough for a half.

Had to laugh at this story and the picture.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/27/sunak-and-johnsons-beer-draught-relief-photocall-goes-flat

Somehow can't see BoJo or Risky lifting full 30 gallon barrels, and what exactly is Sunak doing to the barrel?

They're mere 30 litres (about 7 gals) but yeah I think it's safe to say they're empty and plastic. Used to have to rack 18 gallon barrels on my own, my back still hasn't forgiven me.

That photo is incredible though. Does anyone look at things like that and think 'yeah, glad they're running the country'?

11 hours ago, Biff said:

They're mere 30 litres (about 7 gals) but yeah I think it's safe to say they're empty and plastic. Used to have to rack 18 gallon barrels on my own, my back still hasn't forgiven me.

That photo is incredible though. Does anyone look at things like that and think 'yeah, glad they're running the country'?

Dishi Rishi has probably only spoken to Tim Martin, or maybe there is a sensible reason to only include larger barrels?

17 hours ago, West 77 said:

Yawn

Don't forget to bind off.

As Mister M pointed out,  when you have no valid answers,  you close off with these silly remarks.

You know deep down the mess Brexit is causing and will continue to impact on the country onwards.

Brexiteers got duped and fell for the lies- period.

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

This is not the Brexit thread which makes it even more pointless going over old ground with anti Brexit types who have no respect for the democratic choice their own people made. 

Just for completeness it's a global pandemic that has caused a mess and not Brexit which is going very well.

I take it you've not seen the statement from the OBR... 

2 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

As Mister M pointed out,  when you have no valid answers,  you close off with these silly remarks.

You know deep down the mess Brexit is causing and will continue to impact on the country onwards.

Brexiteers got duped and fell for the lies- period.

I agree. 

I also think the electorate were lied to with the 'Get Brexit Done' election.

There should be some redress when politicians tell barefaced lies to deliberately dupe the public.

At one time they'd be out on their ear, but not now, it seems there is no accountability any more, and they can spin you any old line with total impunity.

This is serious stuff, and people would be wise not to just ignore it and let the politicians get away with it.

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

Dishi Rishi has probably only spoken to Tim Martin, or maybe there is a sensible reason to only include larger barrels?

Obviously they're has to be a cut-off at some point, but 40 litres seems a bit odd. Presumably that means 9 Gal firkins (standard size for cask ale) will be included but a lot of craft brewers (often producing keg beers in 30 litres or less) either won't benefit or have to switch the barrels they use.

My guess is they didn't understand the changes in the industry over the past decade and they'll shift the volume down a bit before it comes in. Alternatively it's a deliberate decision designed to target help towards larger brewers. Obviously this sort of tax cut already most benefits the multinationals producing low quality products on a massive scale. Incompetence or cronyism? Not a fan of either but they're both on brand.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

This is not the Brexit thread which makes it even more pointless going over old ground with anti Brexit types who have no respect for the democratic choice their own people made. 

Just for completeness it's a global pandemic that has caused a mess and not Brexit which is going very well.

🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Biff

In a country with around 2000 food banks and 5m kids living in poverty, the Chancellor just reduced tax on champagne.

Not much more to be said than that, tbh.

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

In a country with around 2000 food banks and 5m kids living in poverty, the Chancellor just reduced tax on champagne.

Not much more to be said than that, tbh.

It's all part of the plan.

Step 2 - do absolutely nothing to address climate change

Step 3 - lower the drinking age to 12

Step 4 - put the sozzled children to work in the Yorkshire vineyards

Reduces the benefit bill, solves the agricultural worker shortage and we can whack massive tariffs on the French. What's not to love? 🥂

Don’t quite know whether to 😂 or 😭 there, Biff.

How soon the recent tax hikes were forgotten. Not a peep about those in commentary or media reporting about Sunak’s budget, hey lookit here, £0.03 off a £6.00 pint (or is it more like £7.00 these days?)

And still not a yellow jacket in sight.

<sigh>