Rishi Sunak's Budget, October 2021

He says we're entering an an age of optimism....

Really?

He might be optimistic with his multi millions, but I've never felt less optimistic in my life, What about you?

Optimistic words from Rishi and Boris on any subject are ten a penny.

The fulfilment of their aspirations are harder to define.

He gave a good optimistic speech, Rachel Reeves was good too. The reallity of what happens in the next couple of years  might be somewhat different, to what Rishi presented.

Good to have cheaper cider, but nothing changes about being able to see a GP or those very long NHS waiting lists.

Perhaps Rishi has done a reasonable job, but the clown in charge is still the same clown?

Rates on many lower alcohol drinks including rose wine, fruit ciders, liqueurs, lower strength beers and wines to fall

New, lower rate of duty on draught beer and cider will cut the rates by 5%

So the duty will be cut, I bet the prices don't drop, just an increase in profits for the breweries.

hope it's enough

2p a pint off draught beer in 16 months time-Oh joy!

An area of politics that none of us can do anything about, no matter which party we vote for. I’ll just carry on drawing my pensions and dipping into my savings and investments as and when required.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

He gave a good optimistic speech, Rachel Reeves was good too. The reallity of what happens in the next couple of years  might be somewhat different, to what Rishi presented.

Good to have cheaper cider, but nothing changes about being able to see a GP or those very long NHS waiting lists.

Perhaps Rishi has done a reasonable job, but the clown in charge is still the same clown?

And champagne. Don't forget that. 

55 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Rates on many lower alcohol drinks including rose wine, fruit ciders, liqueurs, lower strength beers and wines to fall

So the duty will be cut, I bet the prices don't drop, just an increase in profits for the breweries.

Pub bosses were saying earlier that drinks prices will have to increase to cover the minimum wage increase... 

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

Does anyone care about a 5% cut in rates on beer and cider? It makes, what, 10 or 20p difference to the price of a pint. Hardly life changing. If you're that hard up that it will make a significant difference, you're drinking too much.

Meaningless headline grabbing/diversion tactics.

8 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Does anyone care about a 5% cut in rates on beer and cider? It makes, what, 10 or 20p difference to the price of a pint. Hardly life changing. If you're that hard up that it will make a significant difference, you're drinking too much.

Meaningless headline grabbing/diversion tactics.

I agree.

I'm waiting for some proper analysis. But Rishi Sunak seems to be using the same strategies as our Boris, all smoke and mirrors and 'good times ahead folks!'

And if you believe that, you'll believe anything....

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I agree.

I'm waiting for some proper analysis. But Rishi Sunak seems to be using the same strategies as our Boris, all smoke and mirrors and 'good times ahead folks!'

And if you believe that, you'll believe anything....

Its a good strategy, so long as you are not telling huge whoppers, which they are.

with the cost of electric/gas ect ect,the brewerys will just grab it for themselves