Sheffield Clean Air Zone

I don’t post regularly but when I have, I have often defended the Council against some of the more irrational bashing, however this issue needs a lot more investigation from our esteemed local media and campaigners.

Changes in fleet and the impact of covid on working patterns showed that a category A CAZ would have met the legal thresholds - but after years of political incompetence and mismanagement, SCC has been stung by the Government’s stipulation that the CAZ should be implement in the “shortest possible time”.

The data supports a far less stringent CAZ (category A) but they’ve kicked the can down the road so long they have run out of time to implement it and instead have to stick to the  previously consulted upon scheme (category C) as this will take less time to implement. This has massive implications for taxis and van driving business owners and was all avoidable.

there needs to be some major public scrutiny on this issue. It’s a disgrace. 

I don’t expect people to just take my word for it. I hope however people and press will investigate. There’s a massive story here. We could have had a Category A caz and have ended up with a cat C and businesses will fold as a result thanks to Julie Dore, Bob Johnson and Terry Fox. 

Edited by Fredderick
Typos

As  a society we have been pushed along an autocentric way of life by vested interests for decades.Is it now time to stop and make people transit available to all by providing accessible safe  affordable mass transportation?

This is a big question with the answer way above my ability to even begin to sort out but it seems obvious that the way we transport people now is a foolish way to carry on.

Air pollution of certain types and at certain concentration harm people, make people ill and cause early deaths.

If a waste tip released pollutants at the same rate as vehicles do in e.g. Broomhill there would be uproar and it would be closed down immediately.

Peoples love of cars-and it is overwhelmingly cars in Broomhill-overrides their concern for the environment, sick people in and visiting the hospitals, large numbers of pedestrians(+students), resident, workers etc.,  and the 2000+ children who attend schools and nurseries.

As this week is half term the hypocrites who drive their kids to the ten+ schools and nurseries are absent from the roads making for a safer, healthier and cleaner week.

The "Polluter pays" principle should apply to all traffic including electric vehicles(they are not pollution free), buses and trains.

You will not find me on any 'environmentalist', 'climate change' etc. support group.

This is chemistry-This is peoples health

another nail in the city of Sheffield coffin  a once great city, now reduced to a mash up of political ideology.

32 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

As this week is half term the hypocrites who drive their kids to the ten+ schools and nurseries are absent from the roads making for a safer, healthier and cleaner week.

This zone only effects commercial vehicles though doesn't it?  So those parents won't be targeted?

As Thorpist already pointed out, for a very long time everything has been encouraged into the city centre.  Now they're surprised the air quality isn't great??  What a shocker!!

I seem to remember the Ikea development saga dragged on for so many years because the council were adamant it should be built nearer the city centre.  

What an entirely foolish argument that has been shown to be.

How are the public supposed to manage when the idiots making the rules keep changing their tune so often?

Edited by geared

With Debenhams and John lewis gone then there really is little reason nowadays to go to the city centre unless you work there.

Clean Air Zones are quickly becoming a fact of life for UK cities.

any city without one will find that the bus companies use them to 'dump' their old fleet. It's not much of a stretch to suggest that this has already been happening to Sheffield.

Why should we put up with this?

26 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Are refuse lorries exempt?

i don't know, but would expect not - for the same reasons above. Veolia have a fleet of vehicles, they can cope with this.

Cities have a legal responsibility to act to reduce air pollution. I can understand that some people may not approve of *this* scheme, but what's the alternative?

I am wondering how long it will take for the scheme to be extended to private cars (Class D)? One year? Two? I think it would be unwise to assume it won't happen (just like all those taxi drivers with cheap diesel Skodas who assumed there'd be no CAZ and laughed at their colleagues paying extra for hybrids). As I work inside the ring road, and my current car is a Euro 5 diesel, I am certainly considering changing ahead of the game. Damn shame is it still has years and years of life in it yet. 

54 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

With Debenhams and John lewis gone then there really is little reason nowadays to go to the city centre unless you work there.

Or...to visit Howden House, to visit one of the numerous other shops, to go to the cinema, to go to the bowling alley, to go to the walk in centre, to go to the drug clinic on Fitzwilliam Street, to go on a night out, to register a birth or death at the Town Hall, to stay in a hotel....

Have I missed anything obvious? 🙄🙄

The Doughnuts at The Steamyard are a big draw for me...

The concept of including the inner ring road within the scheme seems a little strange.
How much pressure will that put on the smaller road just outside it, which were clearly not designed to carry through traffic?