Glasgow Cop. Climate Change Conference 2021

14 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

I have done that ,tools on back shoved into a ex Army bag level tied to cross bar , East Bank and City Road , even a job out at Castleton . No tools on back now they are in the shed along with the bike which I still use and will be on it today .

As to the Ice I remember sixty one working at Burncross  laid off till March wi ice so thick you couldn't get a shovel into the ground . 

We had to go each week to see if any work had started , just a couple of quid dole money . smashing it was .

The big freeze was 1963 Cuttsie. not that I'm disputing you.  13 weeks of sub-zero temps.

3 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I have done that ,tools on back shoved into a ex Army bag level tied to cross bar , East Bank and City Road , even a job out at Castleton . No tools on back now they are in the shed along with the bike which I still use and will be on it today .

As to the Ice I remember sixty one working at Burncross  laid off till March wi ice so thick you couldn't get a shovel into the ground . 

We had to go each week to see if any work had started , just a couple of quid dole money . smashing it was .

You'd know what adversity is if you ever had a double paper route on an icy winters morning before school. Thursdays, when the "Woman", and "Woman's Own" came out.

Trying to get up the bottom of Erskine Road with a full load,  and keep sliding back down again.  :)

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

You'd know what adversity is if you ever had a double paper route on an icy winters morning before school. Thursdays, when the "Women", and "Woman's Own" came out.

Trying to get up the bottom of Erskine Road with a full load,  and keep sliding back down again.  :)

Sunday mornings was worst. News of the World with all the supplements and other papers 

10 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Easy to fool the idiots.

Just get a bumper sticker that says "GO GRETA!"  :)

Extra points awarded for creative thinking 👍

3 hours ago, Padders said:

The big freeze was 1963 Cuttsie. not that I'm disputing you.  13 weeks of sub-zero temps.

thats it 1963 although all winters seemed to go on forever then .

8 hours ago, trastrick said:

Yes Anna, lots of people.

BBC
"You’d be forgiven for thinking the world is all doom and gloom – and getting worse. But these seven charts show that’s not actually the case".
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190111-seven-reasons-why-the-world-is-improving

VOX
"23 charts and maps that show the world is getting much, much better"
https://www.vox.com/2014/11/24/7272929/global-poverty-health-crime-literacy-good-news

TIME
"20 Ways the World Got Better in 2019, in Charts"
https://time.com/5754155/global-advances-2019/

Don't project your own personal dissatisfaction with life, to the World at large. Have some perspective.

Civilization is a work in progress.

So, don't run with radical chicken littles and lemmings, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. You may find you are out of the frying pan, and into the fire.

You can find fullfilment and happiness in your community, your family, your friends, your lovers. Don't look to government run your life for you. More importantly, don't insist the government run other people's lives. Governments consist of folks who are just flawed human beings, and are often corrupt. 

Make sure you can vote them out - often!

Thanks for that Trastrick.

I so agree with the bit I've highlighted. So true. 

But I'm not about to let this disastrous government off the hook. I object to things like my taxes being wasted, there being one law for them and another one for everyone else, and there's lots that needs to be done that only governments can do - but this lot just aren't doing it.

Nevertheless it's good to be reminded that compared to some people, most of us have it easy.

Edited by Anna B

I see the big announcement has been made at COP 26?

To hold COP 27 in Sharm el-Sheikh.  

20 hours ago, Anna B said:

Thanks for that Trastrick.

I so agree with the bit I've highlighted. So true. 

But I'm not about to let this disastrous government off the hook. I object to things like my taxes being wasted, there being one law for them and another one for everyone else, and there's lots that needs to be done that only governments can do - but this lot just aren't doing it.

Nevertheless it's good to be reminded that compared to some people, most of us have it easy.

It's good to care, Anna.

I've seen political corruption on 3 Continents. It's a given, "Power corrupts, and absolute power ......"

I'm afraid we are stuck with it. Pointing it out where and when  we see it is good.

The folks in my adopted country, have a pragmatic, common sense  way of dealing with it that I admire.

They know somebody has to be in charge. They assume, or know that their politicians are corrupt.  The country is considered a waypoint for drugs from South America to the North,  Mexico, U.S. and Canada.

Most of this traffic is entirely over the heads of the population who's illicit drug use is at the low end of the scale. Marijuana is illegal, but toursists won't go to jail for smoking a joint. Maybe another sign of the generally happy population I have found.

The government provides little in the way of welfare, and most of the population have little or no interaction with their government. They have a deal with the devil. They are free to run their own lives in a lassais faire economy, can start any business there is a need for, a restaurant a taxi, a street market, food selling, clothing and the like. It's buyer beware but uncrupulous ones are quickly sorted out. But their response to COVID was laudible. We got our free shots of Pfizer as early as most and have a larger vacced population that the U.S. or Canada.

Recycling is big here, and most come from rural backgrounds so there's a strong connection to the earth, and a respect for its ability to provide .

There's military and police presence to keep order, but only the bad guys have to worry about them.

If a politician looks like he's getting overly rich, or if  the government in any way curtails their freedom in any way, they'll organize a march to get them out at the next election.

A simple life, but it works. And there's more smiles and music on the streets and genuine helpfulness, than anywhere else I have lived. On top of that it has the best beaches and rain forests.

I'd love to think that before a politician can run for National office he/she should be forced to travel the world on a limited budget, to see how the World really works, and what people really want. But that's an impossible dream, i know.

In the meantime we have to do what we can to leave the World a little better than we found it.

And in my view that means not racking up unsustainable debts to be dumped on future generations.

Edited by trastrick

Interesting take on it

How what they have said, wont or cant happen

Checkout prof Patrick Moore, Canadian co founder of Greenpeace.They won't have him on main stream media!