Glasgow Cop. Climate Change Conference 2021

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

Let's ban all private jets. 

Make that one jet journey per year allowed for every citizen .  Sea travel should be encouraged on ships that carry our goods around the World . The problem is the rich who demand all the goodies while telling the rest of us how to behave . Charlie boy and his family inc .

Seems to me that some people love to attach themselves to a cause and demonstrate and be vociferous whilst things go on as normal .

30 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Seems to me that some people love to attach themselves to a cause and demonstrate and be vociferous whilst things go on as normal .

Who??????

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

Let's ban all private jets. 

According to the BBC CO2 per mile is more for buses than long haul flights, jets will be off the scale.

Transporting one person in a car is the worst for emissions, armoured vehicles are not listed, even compared to flying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49349566

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Make that one jet journey per year allowed for every citizen .  Sea travel should be encouraged on ships that carry our goods around the World . The problem is the rich who demand all the goodies while telling the rest of us how to behave . Charlie boy and his family inc .

Planes carry cargo too. Fuel should be heavily taxed, what ever it is used for.

I have shares in I3 Energy plc, they own and explore for new oil fields, its share price has been increasing this year, if Government were seriously doing anything about climate change its share price would be plunging downwrds.

Having said that, all this 'talk' about climate does bring doubts about its future share price.

4 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Who??????

I should have written "and change nothing significantly whilst things go on as always"

5 hours ago, El Cid said:

Planes carry cargo too. Fuel should be heavily taxed, what ever it is used for.

I have shares in I3 Energy plc, they own and explore for new oil fields, its share price has been increasing this year, if Government were seriously doing anything about climate change its share price would be plunging downwrds.

Having said that, all this 'talk' about climate does bring doubts about its future share price.

I don't think the penny has dropped for some people.

As far as the elite are concerned, we are screwing up the world they enjoy. They want to continue enjoying it in the way they've come to expect, know and love. So let's find ways of keeping our lovely advantages and excluding everyone else.

Simple! Let's ramp up the prices of everything like cars and holidays and houses to put them outside the pocket of the average citizen, and we cut emmisions at a stroke, without inconveniencing the rich and powerful elite one jot. Great plan! 

Now, who makes the plan - oh yes the rich and powerful elite.....

If Cop26 has proved anything, it's that the above is true. 

So be careful what you wish for. Or we'll all be the turkeys voting for Christmas.

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

As far as the elite are concerned, we are screwing up the world they enjoy. They want to continue enjoying it in the way they've come to expect, know and love. So let's find ways of keeping our lovely advantages and excluding everyone else.

Simple! Let's ramp up the prices of everything like cars and holidays and houses to put them outside the pocket of the average citizen, and we cut emmisions at a stroke, without inconveniencing the rich and powerful elite one jot. Great plan! 

So be careful what you wish for. Or we'll all be the turkeys voting for Christmas.

Well said, Anna!

Edited by trastrick

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Always read your posts Anna, And that ranks in your top 10.

Well said.

Great Post Anna , The fact is that has already happened to millions not only World wide but in this Country.

the average price of a house in Sheffield £250'000. Buy an electric car £30'000 , A trip to Spain for a week in a crap hotel £450,  A pint of beer £4 and rising around town . Petrol ,Diesel,  going through the roof . Rents , train travel and so on.

To some these examples are now't , but to the many they are beyond reach now , not in the future now .

13 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Great Post Anna , The fact is that has already happened to millions not only World wide but in this Country.

the average price of a house in Sheffield £250'000. Buy an electric car £30'000 , A trip to Spain for a week in a crap hotel £450,  A pint of beer £4 and rising around town . Petrol ,Diesel,  going through the roof . Rents , train travel and so on.

To some these examples are now't , but to the many they are beyond reach now , not in the future now .

Indeed it has. 

I've been saying for ages, that neoliberalism is going to see the collapse of the middle class as more money is syphoned upwards to those that already have plenty. They can never have enough apparently, and hang everybody else. 

We really do need someone to fight on the side of the people, and unfortunately Starmer is not it.,,,

Well I have been watching the good and great spouting in Glasgow , private jets , limo cars, big dinner parties .

We all know that it is a load of hot air (pun) to be honest and that they are talking about fazing out the most polluting stuff not tomorrow ,not next year but in forty or fifty years by which time we will all be fried to a chip or drowned in a flood .

The main thing that I have noticed among all the rigmarole is that it will still be the poor that suffer the biggest consequences of all this ,  Many African Countries still  do not have running or clean water despite all the millions donated by charities inc save the children's fund etc,  The poor in India are still as stifling poor as they were last year despite the millions in grants that are pumped into it by the West,    that  Country is also a nuclear power with a vast army and has a space programme costing billions .

On the home front it has been stated that after 2030 no petrol or diesel cars will be manufactured  and any one still driving one will be taxed out of existence  , the aim of this is to force us all to buy the new electric powered vehicles , (where does the electric come from one wonders )  , What the experts up in Glasgow do not explain is how will the ordinary citizen who drives a old banger or pre used vehicle afford these new electric cars with prices around £30.000 at todays prices ,  the mind boggles ,     what they will cost in 2030 ish , so once again its the poor people who will suffer , the ones who today struggle to keep vehicle on the road so as to work out of town etc , or live in a rural area where  a car is a must due to no reliable local transport .

So in conclusion no change the haves will just go on as usual , and the have nots will have even less .