Glasgow Cop. Climate Change Conference 2021

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

I know. But as this is happening on our doorstep they're bound to give it maximum coverage.

But I wonder if anybody elsewhere is getting this much coverage, or more to the point, are they taking any notice?

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind , A song .

40 minutes ago, LovePotion said:

All of these eco-warriors are hypocrites. My neighbours used to rdcycle, have those phippy net shopping bags but drove everywhere. Meanwhile, I choose not to drive (mainly because it's a pain in the bum finding parking spaces, avoiding drink, MOT etc), yet I don't make a song and dance and I'm probably the most dco-friendly person in my neighbourhood.

Haaa, but your profile name suggests that you have at least six children   :)

I just have one.

Meanwhile , German villages bulldozed to mine coal.

On 01/11/2021 at 09:01, West 77 said:

The danger is car ownership in the future is going to be out of the reach of many hard working people.

already is.

always has been.

msWife and I are dink-ies. But i don't cycle to work because i enjoy it, but because we can't afford a second car. 

the cost of transport is a real issue, i would rather we addressed it by investing in the alternatives. 

(why don't the trams go anywhere useful? etc.)

2 hours ago, LovePotion said:

All of these eco-warriors are hypocrites. My neighbours used to rdcycle, have those phippy net shopping bags but drove everywhere. Meanwhile, I choose not to drive (mainly because it's a pain in the bum finding parking spaces, avoiding drink, MOT etc), yet I don't make a song and dance and I'm probably the most dco-friendly person in my neighbourhood.

We just have to do our best. (And stop turning on each other for not getting it right.)

At least we are more aware of what we should do, and how we can help, and better alternatives will present themselves soon enough. Human's are nothing if not inventive problem solvers, and this problem is hugely complex. 

In the meantime keep on trying to do your bit, whether it's a brick in your cistern, taking the bus, giving up meat, or buying less. It all helps.    

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

At least we are more aware of what we should do, and how we can help, and better alternatives will present themselves soon enough. Human's are nothing if not inventive problem solvers, and this problem is hugely complex. 

Very true Anna,

2000 or more yrs ago humans did remarkable things, The pyramids of Egypt, Hadrians Wall, The great Wall of China, the Amphitheatre's, Stonehenge, and many more, all without todays technology.

Every house should have solar panels on the roof and a wind turbine fitted.

Drainage systems need updating to cope with floods.

Wind power is increasing daily,

Hydro electricity needs looking at,

We could even use excess water from flooding, and pump it through underground pipelines to irrigate the deserts.

When the crunch comes science will sort it, but not before millions of lives are lost.

19 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I for one , am already fed up  with the constant news coverage . Ramming it down peoples throats is not going help .

I'm happy for the coverage.  But I bet you any money its not mentioned next week once the media have something new to chew on.  Remember the blanket coverage of the migrant boats, the lorry driver shortages, the drink spiking?  All still a big problem.

6 hours ago, LovePotion said:

Actually I have no children....I take the potion at the speaking end.

The 2/3 Mrs Johnsons should have followed your example, then Boris could have led by example and brought in the one child policy  :)

See that Prince Charles is due to fly off on a Middle East tour to raise amongst other things, climate change. 

Meanwhile, The Queen has basically started her Christmas holidays by flying from Windsor to Sandringham. 

Edited by Baron99

The Brazil delegation was a modest 479 people. 

Sponsored by a chainsaw company, it is rumoured. 

10 hours ago, Baron99 said:

See that Prince Charles is due to fly off on a Middle East tour to raise amongst other things, climate change. 

Meanwhile, The Queen has basically started her Christmas holidays by flying from Windsor to Sandringham. 

Let's ban all private jets.