Glasgow Cop. Climate Change Conference 2021

The Conference about climate change is about to begin in Glasgow. The great and the good are coming from far and wide (  ) to debate the issues.

Will it just be more talk, or will real  change actually happen?

I've just become familiar with the term 'Greenwashing.' My bet is we'll hear a lot of that.

Will they be coming on bicycles .

Arriving that is .

Is Greta appearing at the conference? 

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

The Conference about climate change is about to begin in Glasgow. The great and the good are coming from far and wide (  ) to debate the issues.

Will it just be more talk, or will real  change actually happen?

I've just become familiar with the term 'Greenwashing.' My bet is we'll hear a lot of that.

The term 'greenwash' has been around for over a decade. That is mostly what Government action is.

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

The term 'greenwash' has been around for over a decade. That is mostly what Government action is.

I've only just heard of it. And so will others no doubt. But l suspect it's  going to become much more common  after cop 26.

Joe Lycett's investigation into Shell's claim to be moving to green energy production - About time these claims were put under the spotlight.

Carbon offsetting might be another one he could have a look into. These phrases are used so glibly with little thought / research to back them up and find out if they're true.

Former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn is set to come to Scotland to hold an “alternative COP26”.

Corbyn, through his Peace and Justice Project, will hold four events, three in Glasgow and one in Edinburgh, between November 8 and November 11.

Among the events is a “climate justice cabaret”, bringing together musicians and artists, as well as a panel with trade union leaders and two in conversation-style events.

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

I've only just heard of it.

That fact that the term has been around so long should be an indicator of the lack of Government action and the fact that this is COP26

Did the other 25 COPs achieve anything?

Edited by El Cid

4 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn is set to come to Scotland to hold an “alternative COP26”.

Corbyn, through his Peace and Justice Project, will hold four events, three in Glasgow and one in Edinburgh, between November 8 and November 11.

Among the events is a “climate justice cabaret”, bringing together musicians and artists, as well as a panel with trade union leaders and two in conversation-style events.

That fact that the term has been around so long should be an indicator of the lack of Government action and the fact that this is COP26

Did the other 25 COPs achieve anything?

Hmmm... :huh:

So, he's organised his 'own' show? :confused:

Probably failed the "Britain's Got Talent" auditions... :hihi:

6 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

So, he's organised his 'own' show? :confused:

Probably failed the "Britain's Got Talent" auditions... :hihi:

Corbyn is on our side though; his prospective Government was rejected. But that doesnt mean all his ideas were bad.

19 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Will they be coming on bicycles .

Arriving that is .

I'm sure I read somewhere, this morning, that a fleet of Teslas have been hired to take the delegates hither & thither but.......they forgot about charging stations so they've had to hire another fleet......of diesel powered generators to be able to recharge

Here you go - sort of semi correct(ish)

https://fullfact.org/online/COP26-Tesla-cars/

(Moved from Is It Our Fault?)

I doubt this latest Gabfest in Glasgow will induce anything more than a yawn for the average joe.

Government officials, the media, sponsors, exhibitors, organizers, workshop participant, the usual Green coalitions, and so on, will descend on Glasgow for another ostentatious  show of wealth and power.

A cast of thousands will be featured in this international junket, with VIP receptions, gourmet menus, and a reunion of old friends who were privileged to be invited, all expenses paid, to the last 2 dozen or so, of these events. Expect some celebs to pop in, to jazz up the dull proceedings.

They'll invade Glasgow on their government jets, private jets,  motorcades from the airport, chauffeured limousines. Don't expect many protests, as most of the principal Green professional protest groups will be inside, out of the weather.

They'll sign some committment to spend more taxpayer money trying to change the Earth's temperaure, fifty years from now.

Then they'll roll up their banners and leave, as fast as they got there, with a "see you next year".

And be off in a haze of fossil fuel carbon emmisions.

When asked why not do it remotely by Zoom? they'll have some interesting answers.

"Because of COVID we haven't been able to use the private jet much, so it was nice to give it a good run", will not be one of them.

47 minutes ago, trastrick said:

(Moved from Is It Our Fault?)

I doubt this latest Gabfest in Glasgow will induce anything more than a yawn for the average joe.

Government officials, the media, sponsors, exhibitors, organizers, workshop participant, the usual Green coalitions, and so on, will descend on Glasgow for another ostentatious  show of wealth and power.

A cast of thousands will be featured in this international junket, with VIP receptions, gourmet menus, and a reunion of old friends who were privileged to be invited, all expenses paid, to the last 2 dozen or so, of these events. Expect some celebs to pop in, to jazz up the dull proceedings.

They'll invade Glasgow on their government jets, private jets,  motorcades from the airport, chauffeured limousines. Don't expect many protests, as most of the principal Green professional protest groups will be inside, out of the weather.

They'll sign some committment to spend more taxpayer money trying to change the Earth's temperaure, fifty years from now.

Then they'll roll up their banners and leave, as fast as they got there, with a "see you next year".

And be off in a haze of fossil fuel carbon emmisions.

When asked why not do it remotely by Zoom? they'll have some interesting answers.

"Because of COVID we haven't been able to use the private jet much, so it was nice to give it a good run", will not be one of them.

Exactly.