Current University Experiences

My niece has now been at Hallam for 6 weeks now and so far has had the opportunity to actually attend one introductory attendance and one actual lecture.

Other than that she is required to be online for as little as 6 hours a week and is set essays to complete which do not have to be submitted .

I know that there have been problems over the last 2 years but thought that these would have overcome to some extent.

This is a nursing course but seems a complete money grabbing scam to me particularly as she is paying for residency on top of the course fees.

What experiences do others have?

current university places are now a joke, pretty much anyone with the lowest of grades can get into this absolute farce, gone are the days when a degree actually meant you had researched and  studied hard for an actual useful subject.

how can an online course be anywhere near a degree, most totally plagiarised !

we have a family member who has done 7 years in further education with a non degree and narrowly missing a first and still has no job and no life experience what a waste of time and money.

its about time the ones that actually do proper degrees doctors, engineers, vets, etc etc etc have to pay properly which would weed out the timewasters who just dont want to join the real world.

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

current university places are now a joke, pretty much anyone with the lowest of grades can get into this absolute farce, gone are the days when a degree actually meant you had researched and  studied hard for an actual useful subject.

we have a family member who has done 7 years in further education with a non degree and narrowly missing a first and still has no job and no life experience what a waste of time and money.

its about time the ones that actually do proper degrees doctors, engineers, vets, etc etc etc have to pay properly which would weed out the timewasters who just dont want to join the real world.

For a start off universities and colleges use software to monitor student's work to ensure that it isn't plagiarised.

Lots of distance learning courses that involve online learning such the OU are proper degrees, diplomas, HNCs etc. 

You clearly don't but I have every respect for those who go to university to study arts degrees, knowing full well that their passage into work will be more difficult than those who study STEM subjects for example. Nevertheless they do so because they love the subject of their choice. Good for them.

I am not knocking a university education at all.

My niece has long wished to become a nurse and the course as advertised seemed to be a good step forward.

She is keen to learn but very disappointed at the level of supervised tuition that is being offered at the moment.

She enjoys the university life but questions whether she is anywhere near getting the education that she hoped for.

13 hours ago, ab6262 said:

Both my sons required 3 As to meet the entry requirements. Both have worked very hard thus far towards their degree. What did you take your degree in?

Re the OP, as above, they are back to pre covid in person lecturing, seminars, tutorials and practicals, nothing online. So I'm surprised SHU are still online to any extent.