A Lot Of Local Venues Currently Cash-Only

I agree that HeHasRisen  is making a valid point by saying that, because I've lived and worked in London, for many years, my experience may seem irrelevant to this debate. However, I am a Sheffielder born and bred, all my family still live in Sheffield. I visit Sheffield quite often and use the shops and supermarkets when I'm up there. I agree that most Sheffield supermarkets I've visited have given the option of paying by cash or card , either at a staffed checkout till or when using self checkout machines.  Many London shops and small supermarket have taken away staffed checkout tills completely and allow only card and contactless payments at self checkouts.

My experience tells me that when London starts doing away with cash payments and staffed tills, the rest of the country - including Sheffield -may follow the London example - especially if allows big businesses to cut staffing and avoid having to deal with cash payments.

I believe that within 5 years, cash money in the form of notes and coins will have been abolished completely and the only way we will be able to pay for anything will be electronically - with contactless or smartphones etc

I agree with you that London leads the way and others follow.  I worked in London for a while, and trends there followed in Sheffield a few years later.  As a non-Contactless and non-Smartphone person, I just hope that this is not the case here.  If it is, then I'll be looking for the shops that don't follow the trend!