A Lot Of Local Venues Currently Cash-Only

I have noticed the above recently with some local Sheffield hospitality venues.

They sometimes give the feeble excuse that their card machine is broken that day. But repeat visits on a different day prove that that is a bare faced lie.

Other venues go "cash only" certain days of the week.

To be blunt, it seems to me  that those venues are trying to avoid paying their due taxes just when precise time that Boris and the government needs a normal/higher tax take ...

I think this is atrocious and should be called out !

Edited by GinTreeS7

I've found quite the opposite!  Businesses trying to use the "Covid" excuse to avoid handling cash and trying to force people to go "contactless".   I don't think its anything to do with Covid - just an excuse to get people to use cashless, as it saves them dealing with money.  Most relent as I turn my back and go to move away, as they still want the trade.

There have been well publicised failings of the Visa system in the last year or so, and I've been in pubs a couple of times when people had to leave as they had no cash when that has happened.

The cashless society works well ...  when it works!

19 hours ago, GinTreeS7 said:

They sometimes give the feeble excuse that their card machine is broken that day. But repeat visits on a different day prove that that is a bare faced lie.

To be blunt, it seems to me  that those venues are trying to avoid paying their due taxes just when precise time that Boris and the government needs a normal/higher tax take ...

Call them out then. Name those establishments you've decided on minimal proof are taking part in tax evasion.

19 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

There is no law that says they have to take card.  You could always report them for tax evasion.

https://www.gov.uk/report-an-unregistered-trader-or-business

You can only report them for suspected tax evasion, unless you have proof that they are evading taxation payments.

21 hours ago, GinTreeS7 said:

Blimey,some folk are easily offended .....

21 hours ago, GinTreeS7 said:

Would you be able to quantify something for us - you state (in the title) that 'a lot of venues...', I'm assuming that you've based that on experience rather than anecdote so could you give us an idea of the number of venues that you've visited & how many were cash only

For instance:

If you've visited 20 venues & 3 were cash only - I wouldn't say that was a lot

If you've visited 20 venues & 15 were cash only - I would say that was a lot

If you've visited 3 venues & 2 were cash only - I would say that was too small a sample to quantify

If you felt that you could name them, that would be useful for us to know so that we can  make sure we've been to the cash point

I, for one, look forward to getting some feedback from you

2 hours ago, MJ01 said:

If you felt that you could name them, that would be useful for us to know so that we can  make sure we've been to the cash point

I, for one, look forward to getting some feedback from you

I'd also like to know:

• any that are cash only, so I could support them
  • any that refuse cash, so I could avoid them

Is the cash being "rung through the till" or transactions being recorded on a computer screen - or is the till drawer open all the time?

Can you get a printed receipt if you request one "for claiming expenses" or not.

If the former in both cases then OK - if not then perhaps dodgy.

6 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I'd also like to know:

• any that are cash only, so I could support them
  • any that refuse cash, so I could avoid them

I could tell you one TR but it's over this side of town.

Also the cash goes through a till and you can get a receipt.

I've not noticed lots of local venues being cash-only but I can think of a few that are card-only. Maybe we're just going to different places, it's kinda weird that you think it's atrocious and should be called out but don't name them.

Anyway seems you're jumping to conclusions based on very little evidence. Card machines do go down, if the venue was trying to avoid paying taxes lying about it being broken seems an odd choice when they can just be cash-only.

22 hours ago, Biff said:

I've not noticed lots of local venues being cash-only but I can think of a few that are card-only. Maybe we're just going to different places, it's kinda weird that you think it's atrocious and should be called out but don't name them.

Anyway seems you're jumping to conclusions based on very little evidence. Card machines do go down, if the venue was trying to avoid paying taxes lying about it being broken seems an odd choice when they can just be cash-only.

All depends if the cash is going through the till or not - ie being registered on an audit roll.