Opening Times

What were the opening and closing times of pubs in Sheffield in the 60s and 70s.

9 minutes ago, Yorkyhells said:

What were the opening and closing times of pubs in Sheffield in the 60s and 70s.

In the 60s closing time was 10 pm.

We used to have a drink in Wincobank, when 10pm arrived, we would walk the 100yds or so under the railway bridge, and you were in Rotherham where pubs closed at 10-30pm.

we used to go over the derbyshire border to gain a half hour,but in some ways the old times /hours did not meet other countrys laws,so visitors in some ways helped us change the law,i was in blackpool last week weather great,but the pubs were nice,until sat came then thats when you questioned the open all hours rule,it was manick,i had a early night,but is that our culture or is it the opening hours?

48 minutes ago, Padders said:

In the 60s closing time was 10 pm.

We used to have a drink in Wincobank, when 10pm arrived, we would walk the 100yds or so under the railway bridge, and you were in Rotherham where pubs closed at 10-30pm.

Same at Gleadless cross or road at Town End and you were in Derbyshire (boundary was moved later on ) The Lion and Old Harrow got packed at 10 pm . 

There were changes through this period, I am not sure of the exact years.

These times are for Sheffield late 1970s early 80s-I think.

Mon to Thursday 11am till 3pm and 5 30 until 10 30pm

Friday 11am till 3pm and 5 30 until 10 30 (later Summer 11 00, later all year) 

Saturday 11 till 3pm and 5 30 until 10 30 (later Summer 11 00, later all year but not the same as Friday?)

Sunday 12 while 2pm and 7 00 to 10 00 (later 10 30)

10 minutes drinking up time.

Exceptions:

Pubs opened within those times.

Magistrates would grant citywide and local "extensions" for national and local public and private events.

Certain pubs in the east end exchanged beer for tokens issued by steelworks at shift ends.

Wellington on Hawke Street also stayed open when British Steel  operated their own network of buses which interchanged inside/outside BSC RiverDon during the frequent bus strikes.

I didn’t start drinking till the early 70s and I thought it was 10,30  last orders 

It was customary for the regulars where I drank  to pop in for the ‘ last half ‘ at 10 

The police used to regularly visit pubs to check for underage drinker.

Am I right in thinking no pubs opend sunday lunchtimes?  I know Working men's Clubs did.  And weren't pubs  closed Xmas day ?

The 10;30 pm extention came to Sheffield  pubs in1961.

Edited by St Petre
add

19 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

12-2 sunday dinnertimes

I am thinking early 1950s 

43 minutes ago, gene said:

I am thinking early 1950s 

Before my time.

I know that pubs did not open on Sundays in N. Ireland or Scotland in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Hotel bars and the British Legion opened.