Should The Queen Retire ?

Do any of the anti-Royals here really think that an elected president will set us aside from the rest of the world and bring the international interest that our monarchy has delivered for so long?  

Other than wanting to end perceived privilege (from a pure class envy perspective), what would an elected president offer that a monarch could not?

10 minutes ago, Caswall said:

Do any of the anti-Royals here really think that an elected president will set us aside from the rest of the world and bring the international interest that our monarchy has delivered for so long?  

Other than wanting to end perceived privilege (from a pure class envy perspective), what would an elected president offer that a monarch could not?

Would we get the amount of visitors to Britain with a president like Donald Trump ?

10 minutes ago, Caswall said:

‘Class envy perspective’,  speaking for myself I wouldn’t wish to be a royal or one of the aristocracy. An elected president would bring about change, we’ve had bad royals before and other than beheading one we’ve been stuck with them for the remainder of their lifetime, a president elected for a maximum term is a good insurance policy.

27 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Would we get the amount of visitors to Britain with a president like Donald Trump ?

Perhaps if he were on display in a zoo. 

The anti-Royalists - as with anti-most things - tend to be a loud minority.   We've seen the quiet majority's affection for the Crown often enough as funerals, and the rest of the world's interest is unquestionable. 

But the monarchy brings us far more than tourism.  Some nations just like to trade with monarchies, and there's been many a huge boost for British exports that simply would not have happened without a few Royal handshakes.  The Al Yamamah deal alone brought the UK about 40 billion in export sales - and would not have been secured without Royal connections.  

The Queen will press on until she is too weak to continue and may then pass Regent duties on the Charles.  I think the future of the monarchy is very secure with William who has earned widespread respect for good reason; he is a very smart, caring and grounded individual.

Edited by Caswall

10 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I once went to London because of the Queen, Freddie was fabulous. 😉

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes president Boris Johnson.  How would you like that?  

not at all he is prime minister , A president would be head of state and not necessarily a politician .

57 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I do not think a monarch is allowed to retire.

Stand to attention and sing the National Anthem 3 times at the top of your voice.

Jerusalem .

34 minutes ago, Caswall said:

A chance for every one born in the UK to reach the top spot instead of the situation that now exists in both Westminster and the so called Royal household .

16 minutes ago, Caswall said:

Perhaps if he were on display in a zoo. 

The anti-Royalists - as with anti-most things - tend to be a loud minority.   We've seen the quiet majority's affection for the Crown often enough as funerals, and the rest of the world's interest is unquestionable. 

But the monarchy brings us far more than tourism.  Some nations just like to trade with monarchies, and there's been many a huge boost for British exports that simply would not have happened without a few Royal handshakes.  The Al Yamamah deal alone brought the UK about 40 billion in export sales - and would not have been secured without Royal connections.  

The Queen will press on until she is too weak to continue and may then pass Regent duties on the Charles.  i think the future of the monarchy is very secure with William who has earned widespread respect for good reason; he is a very smart, caring and grounded individual.

The Saudi royals are always very welcomed here by the gun runners , tories and our Royals .

10 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Jerusalem .

It seems that you need to sing OUR National Anthem more than 3 times to remember what it is.

Stand up tall and be proud of what we have got.

10 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

A chance for every one born in the UK to reach the top spot instead of the situation that now exists in both Westminster and the so called Royal household .

The Saudi royals are always very welcomed here by the gun runners , tories and our Royals .

Not to mention Newcastle United supporters.

Guest makapaka

Her entire life has been an extended retirement.

32 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Her entire life has been an extended retirement.

What a ridiculous statement.

Wonder how your workload and length of working life  compare to Her' Majestys.

Edited by harvey19

On 05/07/2021 at 18:54, hackey lad said:

Why has a thread which was started by someone asking what people pay their gardeners , been hijacked and turned political?

On 19/08/2021 at 13:36, cuttsie said:

Just been offered a magnificent savings deal by my bank , its especially for me and others who have been good customers for twenty years or more , the deal is 0.35% per annum on savings over a certain sum , can't wait to spend all my spondoooodies.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

The Queen will never retire.  The Queen will  continue to hand over many of her duties to Prince Charles and other members of the Royal Family.

Long Live The Queen !

Monarchs don’t retire,they abdicate - I can’t imagine she will ever do that.