When Was The Nhs Last Ok?

When was the last time the NHS provided a satisfactory level of healthcare for the population?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. When was the last time the NHS provided a satisfactory level of healthcare for the population?

• The NHS is currently providing a satisfactory level of care.
    • NHS levels of care were fine until the pandemic hit.
    • Ten years ago things were fine but they had already dropped below acceptable levels before the pandemic hit.
    • Twenty years ago the NHS was fit for purpose but not so ten years ago.
    • The NHS has not provided satisfactory levels of care in over two decades.
    • The NHS is broken but I am not sure when it happened.

Just to clarify:

I am not asking about staff performance or dedication.

I am not asking about whether the NHS is value for public money.

Edited by Carbuncle

As we are a rich country, the NHS could do much better if it had more funds. Getting a GP appointment has been difficult for ages, as David Cameron promised a seven-day GP service by 2020

IMO the NHS was OK in the 1970's, not perfect (nothing is) but better than now. I remember Thatcher taking over in the late 70's and that's when everything began to change. I remember her bringing in a Bill wanting to charge patients for bed and board in NHS hospitals. She lost, but it shows what way she was thinking. It's been underfunded ever since and going downhill.. 

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

IMO the NHS was OK in the 1970's, not perfect (nothing is) but better than now. I remember Thatcher taking over in the late 70's and that's when everything began to change. I remember her bringing in a Bill wanting to charge patients for bed and board in NHS hospitals. She lost, but it shows what way she was thinking. It's been underfunded ever since and going downhill.. 

As good as any - certainly was a huge investment in new hospitals in the region then - eg Hallamshire, Rotherham DGH, Barnsley DGH, Derby RI, Queens Medical Centre Nottingham, Leicester RI. Largely replacing defunct Victorian hospitals - eg Sheffield Royal plus Infirmary, Barnsley Becketts.

Edited by Longcol

I’ve had to use my GP practice more this year than previously, I imagined that making an appointment and keeping it was OK, however not so. I need to turn up at least 15 minutes prior to my appointment in order to join the huge queue of folk with many wanting everlasting chatter with the receptionist, she’s normally taking and making calls whilst directing patients to their respective appointment rooms. Why they can’t just announce their arrival and take a seat where requested is a mystery, the last time I was there the doctor had to come and drag me out of the queue.

Edited by crookesey

12 hours ago, Mister M said:

This article on public satisfaction with the NHS, using data from surveys carried out by the Kings Fund and Nuffield Trust, over a period of nearly 40 years gives a useful guide of where the public is at on the issue:

Satisfaction with NHS 'hits 11-year low' - BBC News

Thanks for posting the link. Frankly, I was amazed.

At the low point in 1997, 34% of survey participants said they were 'very or quite satisfied' with the NHS. At the high point in 2010, 70% said they were 'very or quite satisfied'. Wow! I would never buy a product on Amazon or order from an EBay seller with these kind of reviews. Actually, I have made the choice to buy books from a seller with a 99% satisfaction level at a higher price in preference to a seller with a 95% satisfaction level because it is such a pain when things go wrong ... such a pain and of course it is only metaphorical when it comes to online sellers.

The news media when it talks about the NHS seems to frequently set the scene with the 'national treasure' angle and I have often wondered how it is they know the public thinks the NHS is a national treasure. It seems to be just something that everybody knows but this long running survey would seem to give the lie to it. The public may like the idea of the National Health Service but it would seem they have not been impressed with the implementation of the NHS at any time over the last forty years. I would not have guessed that.

I think it was at it's best about 50 years ago but that wasn't on list of options on the poll.

I needed a dentist not so long ago and I  spite of being on a 12month waiting list, l ended up at Charles Clifford. He berated me for not going to a private dentist

I told him l couldn't get one but he obviously didn't believe me. He started Ringing a few and played the 'l am a big Consultant' card, but he got the same response,  'Waiting lists... '

Now my point is, how can a Consultant Dentist not know what's going on in his own profession?

Guest makapaka

The nhs should be managed to protect us all. At times it might need more funding and resources to achieve that. 

It’s not society’s job to protect the nhs and all these rainbows on people’s front gardens are just making excuses for governmental failures.

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

I needed a dentist not so long ago and I  spite of being on a 12month waiting list, l ended up at Charles Clifford. He berated me for not going to a private dentist

I told him l couldn't get one but he obviously didn't believe me. He started Ringing a few and played the 'l am a big Consultant' card, but he got the same response,  'Waiting lists... '

Now my point is, how can a Consultant Dentist not know what's going on in his own profession?

I have found that they are a bit in a world of thier own up at The Charles Clifford. I had exactly the same problem.

On 24/10/2021 at 13:07, spilldig said:

I think it was at it's best about 50 years ago but that wasn't on list of options on the poll.

I didn't offer "at its best fifty years ago" as an option because that is an answer to a different question. Of course, it may well be that more people would have been interested in your implied question ("When was the NHS at its best?") than the one I asked which has drawn relatively few responses.