Sign in to follow this  

The Milestone, Kelham Island

15 hours ago, Longcol said:

It also had an excellent review by Jay Rayner in the Observer in the early days. Me and my wife used to go every month for the "early bird" - one of best value meals we've eaten anywhere.

As an aside, Jay Rayner's last review is a hoot

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/oct/17/jay-rayner-restaurant-review-kebab-kid-london-take-away-as-a-cult-nusr-et-steakhouse

Also look at his one from the summer about the rooftop restaurant at the Dorchester.

23 hours ago, Longcol said:

Only place I've had a better value meal is a place about 10 miles away from us in France down a lane going nowhere - you can get a 3 course lunch for 11.5 euro (no drink included). Couple who run it cure all their own meat which is reared on their land, plus they grow a lot of their own veg and herbs.

That sounds amazing,  love places where the owners really try to make the place something special.

Went to Kelham Island yesterday and had a great night out, I did notice that the Stew & Oyster also seemed to be closed.

11 hours ago, top4718 said:

Went to Kelham Island yesterday and had a great night out, I did notice that the Stew & Oyster also seemed to be closed.

Apparently it's closed for a refurb...not sure when it's re-opening... 

Guess the foodhalls are making good money and taking up their time. Not that surprised it's up for sale but £100k does seem cheap, if I wasn't broke I'd be tempted.

Guest makapaka
11 hours ago, Biff said:

Guess the foodhalls are making good money and taking up their time. Not that surprised it's up for sale but £100k does seem cheap, if I wasn't broke I'd be tempted.

£100k for a business that someone in the restaurant industry doesn’t want? 

Edited by makapaka

9 hours ago, makapaka said:

£100k for a business that someone in the restaurant industry doesn’t want? 

Turning over £15k in the before times isn't too shabby, has a pretty good reputation and I'm inclined to believe they're only selling it because they don't have the time to devote to it. Maybe I'm just too trusting.

If someone was gonna do a food lead pub in Sheffield it seems a good option and probably would've been sold for more 2 years ago. Probably not for me even if I had the funds, but I expect they'll be a taker.

15 minutes ago, Biff said:

Turning over £15k in the before times isn't too shabby, has a pretty good reputation and I'm inclined to believe they're only selling it because they don't have the time to devote to it. Maybe I'm just too trusting.

If someone was gonna do a food lead pub in Sheffield it seems a good option and probably would've been sold for more 2 years ago. Probably not for me even if I had the funds, but I expect they'll be a taker.

Its in an area that's flourishing at the moment, it was packed last Saturday and the Peddlers Market always attracts a good crowd, its a golden opportunity for anyone with the funds and know how, I wish I had.

Guest makapaka

What are you buying tho?

11 hours ago, makapaka said:

What are you buying tho?

I don't know the details of the sale but if keeping the names involved it was a pretty much liked place, a good chef and staff would soon have it back to what it was I'm sure.