Sheffield Christmas Lights The Best Ever

READING the press review we are in for a magnificent set of lights this year,i will see them in parts,but wouldnt it be great with a huge indoor grotto/funfair/market as well,think this is done in scotland and elsewhere,what do others think,the indoor or covered idea is great for december weather is it not??

So you want a local authority with a budget deficit to spend a load of money on a grotto, yes?

Had they done this, someone would be on here moaning they had spent the money. Cant win either way.

30 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

So you want a local authority with a budget deficit to spend a load of money on a grotto, yes?

Had they done this, someone would be on here moaning they had spent the money. Cant win either way.

Maybe the Council Housing Department could dress up as Santa & the 11000 elves - all on massive salaries plus benefits -but only working 3 days a week 

11 minutes ago, MJ01 said:

Maybe the Council Housing Department could dress up as Santa & the 11000 elves - all on massive salaries plus benefits -but only working 3 days a week 

Doesn't seem doable, they are only on Phase 1 of digging the new train tunner under Woodseats Rd.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Doesn't seem doable, they are only on Phase 1 of digging the new train tunner under Woodseats Rd.

Tunnel under Woodseatrs Road???   First I've heard about that.  Is it safe to travel on the 75 or 76?  I can see the headlies "Busses disappear due to tunnelling".  Bad enough when bad weather with kids using the steep road as a slide in the ice - wityout them being swallowed up by a hole caused by a tunnel

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

READING the press review we are in for a magnificent set of lights this year,i will see them in parts,but wouldnt it be great with a huge indoor grotto/funfair/market as well,think this is done in scotland and elsewhere,what do others think,the indoor or covered idea is great for december weather is it not??

These super new illuminations are planned for 2022  not this year.

12 minutes ago, alexander874 said:

These super new illuminations are planned for 2022  not this year.

Another 12 months of heated debate then.

With all the build up of expectations, they're bound to disappoint / annoy some on here.

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

A huge indoor grotto/funfair/market/COVIDFEST sounds like a tremendous idea... 👏 💡 

these grottos /funfairs/markets are held in huge no heated hangers,so covid safe to a degree,no worse than a shop,but these are run by private operaters,who pay rent and council tax,so like the market on fargate,but as i say more sensible in our weather,its just a idea that costs the council nothing.i think it would bring in tourists if done right,

Fine, so long as they don't block entrances to Fargate shops as previous "markets" on Fargate have done.  M+S particularly have complained previously

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Fine, so long as they don't block entrances to Fargate shops as previous "markets" on Fargate have done.  M+S particularly have complained previously

Wondering where in the city centre you could put a huge hanger big enough to hold a funfair.

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

Wondering where in the city centre you could put a huge hanger big enough to hold a funfair.

Funfair?  Hmm - depends of definition - as for empty spaces in buildings - Debenhams? John Lewis?