Which Areas Should I Buy?

Hi all,

I hope you all having a good day. Me and my partner are looking to buy a house in Sheffield sometime around next March/April. My partner works there and I used to work in Hillsborough for short period but we don't know much about the area so I'm here for some advice.

Our budget: £200k
We are in our early 30s, no kids, looking for a quiet neighbourhood & preferably maximum 10 miles journey to city centre (work purpose). We'll be going for semi-detached/end of terrace and it might be bit too specific but prefer one with own drive way (as a result of the

current parking situation where we live).

If you can give me maybe a list of areas to go for or to avoid and what they're like that'd be great! I've been looking online and got to know areas like:

Beighton
Basegreen

Thank you very much!

Just go and view everything that matches your cost and travel requirements, you might get a nice surprise.

a good estate agent should be able to help - note the word "should" If nothing else a simple search in your price bracket would be a good starting point.

I would then do the screening once you have ideas about the sort of properties and prices in various areas. What about issues such as public transport are they a factor

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

Just go and view everything that matches your cost and travel requirements, you might get a nice surprise.

Thank you! I was just wondering if there’s any areas that I should avoid just to narrow down the search. I know nowadays no areas are completely safe/great but still want to avoid those classed as rough 😔 

50 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

a good estate agent should be able to help - note the word "should" If nothing else a simple search in your price bracket would be a good starting point.

I would then do the screening once you have ideas about the sort of properties and prices in various areas. What about issues such as public transport are they a factor

Not too much problem if there’s no public transport but preferably yes. I feel like I have too many requirements haha but I know it might not be possible just bit lost where to start.

11 minutes ago, HariboQueen said:

Thank you! I was just wondering if there’s any areas that I should avoid just to narrow down the search. I know nowadays no areas are completely safe/great but still want to avoid those classed as rough 😔 

Not too much problem if there’s no public transport but preferably yes. I feel like I have too many requirements haha but I know it might not be possible just bit lost where to start.

You can’t legislate for area suitably, I’m a South West Sheffield/ North East Derbyshire person who wouldn’t stray out of these areas. If you’re looking at circa £200K for a semi or terraced you will have a good choice, that’s why I always say “get yourself there and have a good walk around, chat to folk and suss out the facilities”.

Whirlow is the best area but property is very expensive there, but it will hold its value.

southwest sheffield next to derbyshire,the peaks,its a sensible priced area of sheffield as well,

Two bed semi in Dronfield Woodhouse at £200K with Rightmove, it’s the bast part of Dronfield.

Walkley - if you can get something with off street parking - close to the centre with easy access to countryside.

Good pubs, takeaways, close to supermarkets if that appeals..................

Thanks all for your replies much appreciate!

Taking crookesey’s advice & I’m going to browse some areas to have a feel haha. Will be starting with Beighton and see what’s it like!

Edited by HariboQueen

Working in Hillsborough, it would seem to me that the Chapeltown area should be a consideration or even Kimberworth

6 hours ago, Thorpist said:

Working in Hillsborough, it would seem to me that the Chapeltown area should be a consideration or even Kimberworth

Note the words USED TO