Jump to content

Clapped Out: Is The Nhs Broken?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I don't think anyone is denying the NHS does some excellent work, but the 'our NHS is wonderful' mantra stops legitimate criticism in its tracks and isn't always true. There is plenty of room for improvement. This thread is about that aspect. Comparisons with other EU countries show there are better ways of doing things and still have it 'free at the point of use.' When almost half the money in the NHS goes towards compensating and correcting some fairly outrageous, life altering mistakes something needs to be done. 

This. Absolutely this.

 

The NHS should be run like a not for profit organisation; efficiency and money saving without loss of service should always be a focus; cost and performance savings can be redirected internally. However, the NHS, like other public services, seems to be unable to grasp the concept of continuous improvement because there isn't a reason to do so. If a business got an ever increasing amount of money to operate each year without actually doing anything different to justify the increase - it hasn't operated any differently to the year before, no increase in performance, productivity, the processes are the same, the mistakes are the same - then why is it ever going to change? Fax machines are a prime example of the NHS doing things because 'it has always been this way'.

 

Add the fact that anyone trying to push changes to the NHS is responded to with strike action and being accused of privatisation doesn't help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sibon said:

It’s the truth.

 

Like it or not.

You have no idea who we work for or who pays the bill, we're doing very well though.

 

Bitter old man.

50 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

This. Absolutely this.

 

The NHS should be run like a not for profit organisation; efficiency and money saving without loss of service should always be a focus; cost and performance savings can be redirected internally. However, the NHS, like other public services, seems to be unable to grasp the concept of continuous improvement because there isn't a reason to do so. If a business got an ever increasing amount of money to operate each year without actually doing anything different to justify the increase - it hasn't operated any differently to the year before, no increase in performance, productivity, the processes are the same, the mistakes are the same - then why is it ever going to change? Fax machines are a prime example of the NHS doing things because 'it has always been this way'.

 

Add the fact that anyone trying to push changes to the NHS is responded to with strike action and being accused of privatisation doesn't help.

Excellent post and sums it up well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or....have the Tories deliberately broken it so they can sell bits off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, top4718 said:

You have no idea who we work for or who pays the bill, 

You told us all a few weeks ago.

 

Did you forget? 
 

Anyway. Back on topic. Tell us your recipe  for improving the NHS. 

Edited by sibon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Or....have the Tories deliberately broken it so they can sell bits off?

This rumour has been doing the rounds for 30 years it still hasn't happened, I think Labours PFI contracts privatised more than the Tories have.

3 minutes ago, sibon said:

You told us all a few weeks ago.

 

Did you forget? 
 

Anyway. Back on topic. Tell us your recipe  for improving the NHS. 

I've already mentioned the German system as being an example of what we should be aiming for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still paying between £100-£200 for ex-NHS computers and printers, sometimes these machines still have the original manufacturers warranty on them.  They then go on for another 3-5 years fault free in my care.

 

The NHS buys IT equipment then scraps it after a couple of years.  Third party companies then "kindly" take these computers off their hands for pennies, test them, stick in a new blank hard disk drive then sell them for the above prices.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by alchresearch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I'm still paying between £100-£200 for ex-NHS computers and printers, sometimes these machines still have the original manufacturers warranty on them.  They then go on for another 3-5 years fault free in my care.

 

The NHS buys IT equipment then scraps it after a couple of years.  Third party companies then "kindly" take these computers off their hands for pennies, test them, stick in a new blank hard disk drive then sell them for the above prices.

 

 

 

 

 

 

If ever a full independent audit was done on the NHS and made public there'd be no more clapping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, top4718 said:

I've already mentioned the German system as being an example of what we should be aiming for.

You’ve briefly mentioned it. Which particular aspects of the German health service make it better than the NHS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sibon said:

You’ve briefly mentioned it. Which particular aspects of the German health service make it better than the NHS?

Look it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, top4718 said:

Look it up.

I don’t need to. I have relatives in Germany.

 

Why not just answer my perfectly reasonable question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sibon said:

I don’t need to. I have relatives in Germany.

 

Why not just answer my perfectly reasonable question.

You're a fantasist I'm not surprised, you have strategically placed operatives in place to cover your bases in any argument.

 

Time to ignore again, you've too much time on your hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, top4718 said:

You're a fantasist I'm not surprised, you have strategically placed operatives in place to cover your bases in any argument.

 

Time to ignore again, you've too much time on your hands.

Why not just answer my perfectly reasonable question?

 

You seem a bit rattled by it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.