Clapped Out: Is The Nhs Broken?

Clapped Out: Is the NHS Broken? Dispatches channel four

Eighteen months into the worst pandemic in a century, this hard-hitting special travels the country asking some tough questions about the performance of our much-loved NHS.

Did anyone see the full program?

I saw part of it and our NHS needs some TLC.

I am thinking about leaving a few thousand to the NHS in my will, but I am hoping that I wont die for at least a decade.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/clapped-out-is-the-nhs-broken-dispatches

Interesting.

I had a quick shufty at the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Annual Report

https://www.sth.nhs.uk/clientfiles/File/STHNHSFT 201920 Annual Report and Accounts (Laid).pdf

My eyes boggled at page 41 - 20% of the staff are Admin and Estates.

I left the NHS in 1991 when it got to 10%, thinking the organisation was getting mired in bureaucracy.

Seems a bit of an overreaction. Put another way, that means that 80% of the staff are medical or health functions staff.

You do realise that doctors and nurses don't sit  typing out letters or go round fetching and carrying supplies or stand there cooking the meals.   Such work doesn't happen by some magical pixie that nips in overnight.

Just like any massive organisation it needs teams of back office and operational staff to run it. In turn, those teams of staff need management to organise and direct it.

It really doesn't seem like such a shocking high figure to me. I would have thought it about right if not slightly less than expected.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Across NHS hospital, community and primary care settings, there are 160,000 doctors in total and around 350,000 nurses and midwives. These two groups – while large – constitute only just over a third of the total workforce. This highlights the multi-disciplinary nature of the NHS, with its reliance on others such as health care scientists, physiotherapists and occupational therapists.

5 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Seems a bit of an overreaction. Put another way, that means that 80% of the staff are medical staff.

You do realise that doctors and nurses don't sit  typing out letters or go round fetching and carrying supplies or stand there cooking the meals 

Just like any massive organisation it needs teams of back office and operational staff to run it. In turn, those teams of staff need management to organise and direct it.

It really doesn't seem like such a shocking high figure to me. I would have thought it about right if not slightly less than expected.

I rather suspect a lot of the ancillary functions - portering, cleaning, catering etc were privatised years ago (it started in the late 80's)and don't appear on the head count.

The NHS is poor, wasteful and totally mismanaged, its held together by the its superb frontline staff a major rethink is needed.

7 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Rather like the number of beds per 100,000 population I reported on the covid thread - we've way less than Germany and France for example.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/473199-coronavirus-part-two/page/852/?tab=comments#comment-8459363

14 minutes ago, top4718 said:

The NHS is poor, wasteful and totally mismanaged, its held together by the its superb frontline staff a major rethink is needed.

The Tories love to "reform"  the NHS - they did it in 70's, in the 80's, in 2012 and are promising to do it again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55960355

Despite the aim "to tackle bureaucracy"  I suspect it'll end up like the "Patients First" initiative in the 80's when the NHS got more managers and accountants and fewer beds.

Edited by Longcol

13 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Every large organisation is wastefull. I believe that compared to other countries it compares well, it gives an appropriate level of service for the money that goes in.

More funding is needed.

29 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Every large organisation is wastefull. I believe that compared to other countries it compares well, it gives an appropriate level of service for the money that goes in.

More funding is needed.

It absolutely doesn't, more funding will just go into the huge blackhole that already exists, its shambolic, the Germans operate a semi private system which is superb, the clapped out NHS is a spent force. A good service doesn't have an outstanding compensation bill of £83billion pounds.

Why is acceptable that large organisations are wasteful, it certainly shouldn't be.

Edited by top4718