Sheffield City Centre Now! what a mess

27 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Aye no other city centre has beggars.

Of course they do,went down Saturday morning and if I heard any spare change once I heard it 20 times in a hour,gave a quid to Sax player(at least he does something for it)rest told to do one.

it was very bad with rough sleepers on the pavement in blackpool and nottingham

3 minutes ago, bassett one said:

it was very bad with rough sleepers on the pavement in blackpool and nottingham

No no no only Sheffield has them according to the brains trust on here.

I think a lot of negative posts on here complaining about Sheffield City Centre forget that we've just been through a pandemic and many stores have closed as a consequence. Manchester and Leeds wil have the same problem; and having lived in both of those cities I can state categorically they have worse problems of vagrants, beggars and spice heads in their city centres. 

When I first came to Sheffield in 1991, the city centre wasn't very pleasant, the Moor was dying on its feet, the Peace Gardens was a site, the hole in the road stank of ****, Castle Market didn't smell much better. Now Tudor Square has been revitalised, as has outside the train station; and the tram service is great.

Of course there are shops that I miss, Spoils, Debehams, Fopp, TJ Hughes in Castle Square, Virgin, Republic etc etc.But new ones spring up all the time - Kommune is great as is Atkinsons, and if people want more shops there's always Meadowhall. Sure Fargate is struggling at the moment but it will pick up. And at the bottom end of town near West Bar there's loads of car parking spaces that are dirt cheap.

It's simply a case of the grass is always greener when looking at other cities. I can guarantee that the same people whinging about Sheffield now, would be bemoaning Leeds or Manchester if they lived there.

Edited by Mister M

2 hours ago, crazyhorse said:

. . .

Arrived via Norfolk Row and was immediately hassled for cash by some Eastern European pensioner, pointing to her mouth and implying she was starving.

I've seen real starving kids in India and she was at least three times their size, so she could clear right off.

. . .

🤣

5 hours ago, crazyhorse said:

Walked down the town with my two kids last Sunday to watch the Bond film at the Light.

Popped over to Marks & Sparks on Fargate first to get Mum a birthday card and to get the kids something from Greggs before the film...

Arrived via Norfolk Row and was immediately hassled for cash by some Eastern European pensioner, pointing to her mouth and implying she was starving.

I've seen real starving kids in India and she was at least three times their size, so she could clear right off.

Then went to Greggs on Fargate and there was a spice head or drunk lying in the doorway...so we turned around and got on the bus back home ASAP as soon as the film finished.

And Sheffield Council and SY Police wonder why the city centre is dead?

Won't bother again...our city centre is so scummy these days.

My bold. 

I bet I can describe her.  Looks at least late 60's, dressed in what could be described as peasant East European garb, shaking a metal cup for you to drop money into. 

She's been at this game for a good 5 years or so around Fargate / Norfolk St & usually hangs around St Marie's Church.  Total con.  I remember her trying to get money off me years ago on Fargate.  I refused & passed her by.  About an hour later I bumped into her again, dressed slightly different, along with I'd say her husband, middle aged son & a couple of grand children, pushing a shopping full trolley around Sainsburys on The Moor. 

Edited by Baron99

Well living in Bradford & have nothing much in the shops choice . I loved coming back to Sheffield to do my shopping , I don't bother with Leeds even though it's next door to Bradford . I was so disappointed when John Lewis closed & Debenhams , but that is the price we pay having Covid 19 . Once this nightmare calmed down , I was so looking forward to taking Mum to Debs & having my Latte & Ham & Cheese toastie ,then some retail therapy , but not to be , so sad 

Transport is a problem as is parking. If the council is going to be anti car then people will go elsewhere. It cost me £18.00 to park when I went to the theatre a few years ago. I never go to town now it's too much of an ordeal.

Just now, SheffieldBricky said:

Transport is a problem as is parking. If the council is going to be anti car then people will go elsewhere. It cost me £18.00 to park when I went to the theatre a few years ago. I never go to town now it's too much of an ordeal.

Well thats your own fault for not doing any research. On street parking is free after 8.30pm and something like a quid an hour before that.

It doesn't take much to work out that if it's free it will be full pretty quick. What was the alternative for me? I was with a couple of elderly people as well who couldn't go on the bus.

You could have researched the alternatives, rather than blindly driving into a city centre. Maybe dropped them off outside and then gone and parked up?

You wouldnt just drive to Leeds, or Nottingham, or Liverpool city centre without looking up where to park first, so why do the same with Sheffield if you werent familiar with it?

15 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

It doesn't take much to work out that if it's free it will be full pretty quick. What was the alternative for me? I was with a couple of elderly people as well who couldn't go on the bus.

One of the many other car parks around the theatre area. The ones that offer special prices after peak hours or the ones that actually offer discounts to Theatre attendees. You could have perhaps taken a taxi....  park and ride....

As others said did you actually look for an alternative? It's not an 'ordeal' at all. Only if someone makes it that way.