Sheffield City Centre Now! what a mess

On 19/10/2021 at 11:51, ECCOnoob said:

Birmingham lost their branch quite spectacularly and it was far more prestige and newer than the one in Sheffield.  The shiny new Leeds one certainly wasnt thriving last time I saw it, neither in fact was their flagship Oxford Street store when I was down there the other month.

There are still plenty of shops in our city centre and unless you have been walking around blind for the past couple of years you will also notice a massive amount of development and investment that is currently ongoing.

There is more to a city than just shops.  

Now back on topic about the supposed impossible road system which thousands and thousands of drivers manage perfectly well everyday.

Like most city centre road systems if you use it every day then its easy. If not, then its next to impossible to get anywhere because of all the no left/right turns, dead ends, taxi only roads etc etc.

On 19/10/2021 at 22:09, top4718 said:

The people defending our awful city centre need to have a trip to Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham or Liverpool, yes all city centres have problems but these are absolutely light years ahead.

I lived in both Leeds and Manchester, so I am very familiar with both those city centres; and as I said above I would much prefer Sheffield any day of the week.

3 hours ago, nightrider said:

Like most city centre road systems if you use it every day then its easy. If not, then its next to impossible to get anywhere because of all the no left/right turns, dead ends, taxi only roads etc etc.

What rubbish.  

Difficult.... yes.    Takes a bit of planning... yes. 

May take longer than expected.... yes.

But a competent driver would expect the same sort of challenges in every big city.  Let's not get silly and pretend that one ways, restricted access and priority traffic is some unique phononema to Sheffield and totally beyond comprehension. 

Let no one tell you otherwise .. Sheffield city centre is dreadful for drivers ....roads closed or restricted access all over the place coupled with bizarre one way systems &  inaccessible car parks and that's whether your a competent driver or not ..

No doubt when all the building work is complete it will hopefully be a whole lot better....but,until that point is reached...see above..

Comparison's to other towns and cities is irrelevant ...the thread is about Sheffield after all..

Its not irrelevant to make comparisons at all, its how major urban areas operate, why should Sheffield be a special case with a utopian road network?

50 minutes ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

Let no one tell you otherwise .. Sheffield city centre is dreadful for drivers ....roads closed or restricted access all over the place coupled with bizarre one way systems &  inaccessible car parks and that's whether your a competent driver or not ..

No doubt when all the building work is complete it will hopefully be a whole lot better....but,until that point is reached...see above..

Comparison's to other towns and cities is irrelevant ...the thread is about Sheffield after all..

Where are these inaccessible car parks?

i like sheffield city centre,but its a problen now for disabled drivers ,with all these roads closed

Must admit, I drove through Sheffield centre 2 years ago for old times sake. I hardly recognised it and finished up stuck in a 'bus and taxi only' lane. Found the road to Broomhill and the hotel.  However, the next day I got the bus into the centre and was pleasantly surprised. I particularly liked the Winter Gardens.  Things have changed a lot since the 1950/60's. The steelworks where I worked in Shepcote lane is now a housing estate and Barclays Bank where I worked in Hillsborough is, I believe going to close.

On 21/10/2021 at 17:58, ECCOnoob said:

What rubbish.  

Difficult.... yes.    Takes a bit of planning... yes. 

May take longer than expected.... yes.

But a competent driver would expect the same sort of challenges in every big city.  Let's not get silly and pretend that one ways, restricted access and priority traffic is some unique phononema to Sheffield and totally beyond comprehension. 

I travel alot in unfamiliar cities and sheffield is up there with Derby for the hardest to navigate.

I’ve not driven in Sheffield CC for ages, as there is nothing of interest in it. However I know it very well and wouldn’t have any problems, if changes have happened then what’s to fear, changes have always happened? I handled the construction of the ridiculous partial inner city ring road without any problem, so what is the current big issue?

1 hour ago, mikeG said:

Must admit, I drove through Sheffield centre 2 years ago for old times sake. I hardly recognised it and finished up stuck in a 'bus and taxi only' lane. Found the road to Broomhill and the hotel.  However, the next day I got the bus into the centre and was pleasantly surprised. I particularly liked the Winter Gardens.  Things have changed a lot since the 1950/60's. The steelworks where I worked in Shepcote lane is now a housing estate and Barclays Bank where I worked in Hillsborough is, I believe going to close.

I think you’re mistaken about the housing estate on Shepcote Lane.

On 21/10/2021 at 17:58, ECCOnoob said:

If it helps support your case: I was in Manchester City Centre last Sunday- and there was bedlam (no, not just because I was there).

Quite apart from football traffic for MU v. Liverpool, there were major tram-linked excavations (long-term, to judge by the size of them) near Piccadilly Station. All through road signage had been removed, presumably because the signposted roads weren't accessible due to the works. and a major snarl-up was had by all. They might still be in that jam now, a week later!

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw