Sheffield City Centre Now! what a mess

7 hours ago, mikeG said:

Must admit, I drove through Sheffield centre 2 years ago for old times sake. I hardly recognised it and finished up stuck in a 'bus and taxi only' lane. Found the road to Broomhill and the hotel.  However, the next day I got the bus into the centre and was pleasantly surprised. I particularly liked the Winter Gardens.  Things have changed a lot since the 1950/60's. The steelworks where I worked in Shepcote lane is now a housing estate and Barclays Bank where I worked in Hillsborough is, I believe going to close.

The Barclays Bank at Hillsborough closed last December sadly.... now only two branches covering Sheffield and Rotherham.

Sheffield City Centre has it's good and bad places like any other city... once all the building work is completed it should be fine from the Moorfoot up to Fargate.

On 29/10/2021 at 16:01, Bargepole23 said:

Where are these inaccessible car parks?

Rockingham Street springs to mind......

On 29/10/2021 at 15:12, HeHasRisen said:

Its not irrelevant to make comparisons at all, its how major urban areas operate, why should Sheffield be a special case with a utopian road network?

The forum is called Sheffield Forum...the thread is about Sheffield city centre...what happens in Leeds or Manchester or anywhere else is irrelevant ...it doesn't make it any easier to drive around Sheffield knowing that it's the same or otherwise in another place does it..??

Of course not, but most of the moaning is from a position of "no other city is like this", which is clearly boll0x.

Edited by HeHasRisen

26 minutes ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

Rockingham Street springs to mind......

What are you talking about.

From West bar roundabout, up the hill to the traffic lights turn left and boom you are on Rockingham Street...

From Charter Row, follow the road up the back of the Moor until you reach the traffic lights, turn left and boom you are on Rockingham Street...

If you're seeking to get to the surface car parks in the middle then yes there is an extra step of following the one way loops around either Carver Street or Division Street turning left or right as appropriate to the relevant part of Rockingham Street you require. But so what? 

Just takes a little thought and glancing at a map. But hardly "completely inaccessible" is it.

You can try and dismiss comparisons with other cities all you like, but the simple fact is when people are moaning and making ridiculous pathetic comments about allegedly how bad Sheffield is and how impossible it is to drive around comparisons ARE relevant.

It is completely common for a competent driver to expect all cities to have some form of traffic control or restriction. To make out like Sheffield is some complete anomaly which is just totally impossible for anyone to understand and completely unreasonable for any driver to deal with is just stupid.  

24 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

What are you talking about.

From West bar roundabout, up the hill to the traffic lights turn left and boom you are on Rockingham Street...

From Charter Row, follow the road up the back of the Moor until you reach the traffic lights, turn left and boom you are on Rockingham Street...

If you're seeking to get to the surface car parks in the middle then yes there is an extra step of following the one way loops around either Carver Street or Division Street turning left or right as appropriate to the relevant part of Rockingham Street you require. But so what? 

Just takes a little thought and glancing at a map. But hardly "completely inaccessible" is it.

You can try and dismiss comparisons with other cities all you like, but the simple fact is when people are moaning and making ridiculous pathetic comments about allegedly how bad Sheffield is and how impossible it is to drive around comparisons ARE relevant.

It is completely common for a competent driver to expect all cities to have some form of traffic control or restriction. To make out like Sheffield is some complete anomaly which is just totally impossible for anyone to understand and completely unreasonable for any driver to deal with is just stupid.  

Having lived in Sheffield for a long long time,i don't feel the need to be glancing at a map to get me to a surface car park in the middle of "town"..What is overly apparent is that narrowing of roads ...closure of sections of roads ...introduction of one way systems..and masses of building works...make it difficult to get to anywhere in the City centre at present...

If you drive around "town" on a regular basis then clearly you will get used to it and you'll probably be on here making longwinded patronising posts telling everyone else they're incompetent....

Like i mentioned elsewhere ,I couldn't careless what it's like in Leeds or Manchester etc ...it doesn't make it any easier to get round Sheffield does it...which is what the thread is about. 

Edited by Sheridan1-0

Don't go to town center much anymore .Back in Day was a great thriving place but now sadly lacks alot of things ,Shops closed and not as welcoming as used to be 

Mostly go to Meadowhall more and only then if have to 😏 try to keep local And help local shops etc 

On 19/10/2021 at 11:51, AndrewC said:

If John Lewis is the only retail unit of interest to you then yes, every retail unit of interest has closed.

Not many cities the size of Sheffield, no, but when a brand new one in Birmingham closes, you know that maybe it isn't entirely a Sheffield issue.

Meanwhile, The Moor is pretty much full apart from the old Debenhams, and as we all know, Sheffield's Debenhams is the only Debenhams which closed recently. Definitely.

Retail - yes, it's very important to a lot of people, and for a lot of people the only reason to come to Sheffield city centre. But for a lot of people, it isn't. We really need to stop this one-dimensional condemnation of Sheffield just because it's retail core isn't up to the standards of Leeds & Manchester. It's so utterly negative and boresome.

It is terrible for shopping of any kind though. 

Combined with the homeless and beggars all over and it's  a nightmare. 

Yes no other cities has homeless people and beggars.

31 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes no other cities has homeless people and beggars.

🤣😂

On 03/11/2021 at 17:43, hello1964 said:

It is terrible for shopping of any kind though. 

Combined with the homeless and beggars all over and it's  a nightmare. 

Walked down the town with my two kids last Sunday to watch the Bond film at the Light.

Popped over to Marks & Sparks on Fargate first to get Mum a birthday card and to get the kids something from Greggs before the film...

Arrived via Norfolk Row and was immediately hassled for cash by some Eastern European pensioner, pointing to her mouth and implying she was starving.

I've seen real starving kids in India and she was at least three times their size, so she could clear right off.

Then went to Greggs on Fargate and there was a spice head or drunk lying in the doorway...so we turned around and got on the bus back home ASAP as soon as the film finished.

And Sheffield Council and SY Police wonder why the city centre is dead?

Won't bother again...our city centre is so scummy these days.