Why Do We Permit Dictatorships?

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

The Chinese have always been subject to dictatorship, be it Royal, Military or Communist, I doubt that they would understand Western Democracy. However they now have access to the media and must make up their own minds, I can’t see them being over impressed with Western Street Life.

They have access to the media?

Do you mean, zero access to any media not controlled by the state, but plenty of access to state sanctioned news channels and platforms, by which the CCP control what the masses think?

47 minutes ago, trastrick said:

There was no U.N. in those days, so they just took what they wanted, rape, looting, terrorizing.

So let me get this straight:

"Dictatorships cannot survive without financial aid from democracies" errr ... "since the establishment of the UN."

Would you like to think about that some more to see if you want to add any more conditions or exceptions to your iron rule of history before I take look?

We need more decentralisation.

If you think about how the media in general works; before the rise of smartphones and while the internet was still in its infancy; the governments had way more control over what information the masses were exposed to (and how it was presented etc). Now they can't keep a lid on things so easily, because information sharing is more distributed, and there is no central controlling body (anyone can share media and stories with enough public interest can easily go viral). Possibly one symptom of this was the Arab Spring. It's a shift towards decentralised information flow.

The internet itself, has had enormous impact (on our societies); and I believe we will start to see more and more decentralisation in this domain too, with (relatively) new technologies like blockchain.

Edited by Waldo

11 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

"Dictatorships cannot survive without financial aid from democracies" errr ... "since the establishment of the UN."

Would you like to think about that some more to see if you want to add any more conditions or exceptions to your iron rule of history before I take look?

Feel free to comment!

13 minutes ago, trastrick said:
25 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Feel free to comment!

That's what I like about you, you swim round and round in your barrel with no sense of impending danger.

Here are some counter-examples to your rule of history:

China under Mao Tse Tung;

North Korea under Kim Il Sung;

Vietnam under Ho Chi Minh;

Romania under Ceausescu;

Cuba under Fidel Castro;

Libya in the period after Lockerbie under Gadaffi;

You are obviously not aware of the U.N. and it's members, including the UK and US and Eurpopean countries providing  "humanitarian aid" to countries such as North Korea.

Matter of fact ,"According to a Congressional Research Service report from 2014, the US accounted for more than half of the food aid to North Korea from 1995 to 2008 (Clinton/Bush years)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48637518

How much of that got to the "people"? And how much went into their military and nuclear programs?

Trump stopped the madness when he was elected in 2008.

Co-incidently they stopped threatening to eradicate South Korea, and commenced ongoing diplomatic relationships with them.

Lol

Edited by trastrick

7 hours ago, dan_999uk said:

We English should dictate that dictators aren't allowed. 

Reading that as 'British', yes.

But I wonder whence comes the idea that we 'permit dictatorships'?

You'll find that they don't arise because of permission!

By definition, they instead arise when there's a decision by people- or, more often, one person- to seize power unlawfully.

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

You are obviously not aware of the U.N. and it's members, including the UK and US and Eurpopean countries providing  "humanitarian aid" to countries such as North Korea.

Matter of fact ,"According to a Congressional Research Service report from 2014, the US accounted for more than half of the food aid to North Korea from 1995 to 2008 (Clinton/Bush years)

How much of that got to the "people"? And how much went into their military and nuclear programs?

Co-incidently they stopped threatening to eradicate South Korea, and commenced ongoing diplomatic relationships with them.

Lol

I very carefully wrote: "North Korea under Kim Il Sung". That was the counterexample, not North Korea under Kim Jong Un and Kim Jong Il and it is very bad of you to rewrite one of my examples for the purpose of argument/ distraction when in fact your 'rule of history' demands that they all be wrong in their as written form. No points.

Edited by Carbuncle

Not looking for points, won't get any here.

Just trying to inject a little common sense, which used to be common in the Sheffield I once knew.

5 hours ago, trastrick said:

Lol

Trump elected in 2008???????????????????

Even in Don's wildest dreams that didn't happen.

Just now, Longcol said:

Trump elected in 2008???????????????????

Even in Don's wildest dreams that didn't happen.

True enough!

He was elected in 2016.

Thanks for the correction!

5 minutes ago, trastrick said:

True enough!

He was elected in 2016.

Thanks for the correction!

No problem - but can I advise you check your "facts" before posting.