Why Do We Permit Dictatorships?

C nuts (he says, cunningly circumventing the forum’s foul language filters) are running the world, or so they say.

I look at the likes of China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, and elsewhere, and yeah, it’s super clear, really really bad people are running the world, for their own benefit and profit, certainly not for ours. How the f did that happen?

You know people who speak out against these tyrants tend to disappear. Western countries are not much better too. Look what happens when you expose US war crimes ... it’s you who will have problems, not them.

I guess it’s all a symptom of hierarchical centralised power structures, perhaps we need more decentralised distributed ways of organising ourselves.

Guest sibon

Maybe it’s the huge amount of arms dealing that we do with some of those places.

Maybe that’s why we overlook their human rights records.

Maybe some of them have resources that we need.

Just guessing.

Edited by sibon

It's a game, and we are the pawns.

All the money and  power is funelled into fewer and fewer hands, until there is only one  winner left standing.

It's called Neoliberalism.

Edited by Anna B

Sometimes, well they just kind of work?

Look at the places that have recently had dictators disposed, Libya, Iraq etc.  They weren't the best places to begin with, but were a whole lot better than they are right now.  Syria nearly went the same way when IS took over half the country and that was horrendous.

Edited by geared

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

It's a game, and we are the pawns.

All the money and  power is funelled into fewer and fewer hands, until there is only one  winner left standing.

It's called Neoliberalism.

It is the same in our Country . The pubic school mob have always ruled no matter which political party is in power at any one time .

A benefical dictatorship is the most efficient form of government.

But, where do you find one? and Where there has been one how long did it last?

Most of the world have non-democratic governments and I'm sure the arrogance of the title is unintentional.

Here are some quotes to chew on, some are plainly unhinged.

The dictatorship of hate has by now completely vanquished the democracy of pleasure.  Angelos Michalopoulos

Open avowal of dictatorship is much less dangerous than sham democracy. The first one can fight; sham democracy is insidious.  Wilhelm Reich

Democracy in a country where the public is uneducated is no different from having a dictatorship or an elected king.  Zulfu Livaneli

The rifle and handgun are 'equalizers'
the weapons of a democracy. Tanks and bombers represent dictatorship. 
 Edward Abbey 

But Cuba doesn't have a dictatorship it's a revolutionary democracy.  Hugo Chavez

Television has made dictatorship impossible but democracy unbearable.  Shimon Peres

democracy that cannot control its own population may be worse for human rights than a dictatorship that can. Robert D. Kaplan

Why do we permit dictatorships?

That question is easily answered, if you subscribe to logic, common sense, and an understanding of human nature.

Dictatorships cannot survive without financial aid from democracies.

If you look at the current examples, North Korea, Haiti, Cuba, Iran, Egypt, Afghanistan, Iraq, Venezuela and  various African countries, you will find that they are heavily supported by International foregn aid, ostensibly for "humanitarian" purposes.

With that financial support they can marginally feed their people, maintain their armies and quell any popular uprisings, or reformist oppsition party, and fatten their-off shore bank accounts against the day when they are inevitatably overthrown.

The U.K. spends $18 billion on foreign aid (by law - see  https://news.trust.org/item/20201120164622-38et5/) to these and other god forsaken dictatorships which keeps them in power.

Now you are about to subsidize the Taliban with massive humanitarian aid, medicine, food, sanitation projects, hygeine, and of course "Climate Change" mitigation.

So, when you ask "why do we permit dictatorships", look no further that the mirror, because it is your vote for the politicians that sends these $billions of your tax dollars, to these wretched hell holes.

The Chinese have always been subject to dictatorship, be it Royal, Military or Communist, I doubt that they would understand Western Democracy. However they now have access to the media and must make up their own minds, I can’t see them being over impressed with Western Street Life.

7 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Dictatorships cannot survive without financial aid from democracies.

Oh dear, ...

Given the absence of wealthy ancient democracies to fund them how did the ancient dictatorships survive?

8 minutes ago, crookesey said:

The Chinese have always been subject to dictatorship, be it Royal, Military or Communist, I doubt that they would understand Western Democracy. However they now have access to the media and must make up their own minds, I can’t see them being over impressed with Western Street Life.

Hmmm... :huh:

I agree!

I think they're much more likely to be Boyzone fans... :hihi:

48 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Oh dear, ...

Given the absence of wealthy ancient democracies to fund them how did the ancient dictatorships survive?

There was no U.N. in those days, so they just took what they wanted, rape, looting, terrorizing.

Today, "Controlling information and (militarily) controlling dissent are part of what goes into maintaining (todays) totalitarian state,"

Kind of hard to do, in this information and technological world. So more reliance on their wealthier and charitable fellow travelers.

There'll be no popular uprisings against totalitarianism, as long as we keep their populations bellies full.

Its how power works, if you have money and power you can do anything.