Gas And Electric Supply

Moving into new house, so need to sort out new supplier. In these weird times, I'm struggling and would appreciate advice about what to do. Any suggestions? Many thanks

It all depends on what kind of meter you have, prepayment, smart meter, pay monthly/quarterly or in receipt of bill 🙂

12 hours ago, malinb said:

Moving into new house, so need to sort out new supplier. In these weird times, I'm struggling and would appreciate advice about what to do. Any suggestions? Many thanks

I’m not moving house, but as for the rest if you find out please let me know, it’s a complete mess.

As far as I am aware it is simply a case of paying through the nose.

is the house brand new or secondhand. If the latter then in short term would probably look to stay with the existing supplier

I've heard Octopus energy are good, but with companies dropping left, right and centre Is it a good idea to get involved with a smaller supplier and not one of the main ones?

3 hours ago, geared said:

I've heard Octopus energy are good, but with companies dropping left, right and centre Is it a good idea to get involved with a smaller supplier and not one of the main ones?

According to a news report I read last month (forget which paper), Octopus are now the 5th largest energy supplier in the UK, and with 3+ million customers since taking over about half a million from one of the failed outfits.

The best you are likely to get just now is to transfer your existing deal with your current supplier at your old address (if they will let you) or the standard tariff with the existing supplier at the new address.  Standard tariff is the one with the government cap and is the cheapest available at present unless you already have a better fixed price deal that you can transfer.  Compare the market when things settle down or your deal comes to an end.

Duplicate

Edited by crookesey

4 minutes ago, crookesey said:

My current deal with Shell is nearing its end, they have estimated the deal end figure (not a difficult task with 45 days remaining), along with an estimated figure if I renew at circa £200 pa more. Now very interestingly their actual renewal offer is £100 more than their estimate, I shall wait until I’m closer to the deal end.

11 hours ago, ttparsons said:

The best you are likely to get just now is to transfer your existing deal with your current supplier at your old address (if they will let you) or the standard tariff with the existing supplier at the new address.  Standard tariff is the one with the government cap and is the cheapest available at present unless you already have a better fixed price deal that you can transfer.  Compare the market when things settle down or your deal comes to an end.

Given electric and gas rates have gone through the roof, I would be very very surprised if ANY provider would let you port a cheap as chips deal to a new address, as far as they are concerned you moving house is great news for them as  the tariff comes to an end.

The OP will need to close his account at his OLD address, ensuring he gets final meter readings and supplies them (take photos). When he gets to the NEW address he needs to read meters again (and take photos) find out who the supplier is (ask the vendor, or look for mail if its been empty for a bit), and contact them. At the moment he is best off going on their standard variable rate, there is absolutely no benefit to asking for a fixed rate as these are significantly higher than the cap.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Ideally you need something you can cancel at the drop of a hat, because any fixed deal now will be pretty eye-watering, and you're on that for the duration.

Hopefully things will improve soon enough, prices will drop and you can pick up a half decent deal, possibly next spring/summer?

Tough winter approaching though.

The major suppliers " hedge " ie take out an insurance policy against major price rise , usually with banks , commodity traders and even other energy companies . . Now when the claims start to pour in  will the hedge providers be the next casualties . Leading to the next financial melt down