Every Care Home Should Have A Pet

So what do you think? I've been spending quite a lot of time visiting care homes lately, and IMO they could all be improved by the simple life enhancing presence of a pet or two.  I know they're not for everyone (though as an animal lover I can't think why,) so there could be pet free zones for those who don't like them, but encouraging the clients to care for them and look after them would improve their lives and wellbeing.

Plants, gardens  and animals - IMO, essential to life.  

It’s a two way thing Anna, and the pet is very likely to outlive the residents. Whoever is in charge of the facility might not be an animal lover, if it was a privately owned care home at least the owner would have that last say, I’m out on this one.

Who is going to pay for food, insurance, vets bills ect.  What happens if they can no longer look after the pet or they just don't want to any more. I don't think the staff are going to be very happy having animals around, they already have enough to worry about.

6 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

Who is going to pay for food, insurance, vets bills ect.  What happens if they can no longer look after the pet or they just don't want to any more. I don't think the staff are going to be very happy having animals around, they already have enough to worry about.

Could not agree more. Pets are not cuddly toys that can be played with and shoved back in a cupboard.

Despite the perceived notion that all of the population loves their cats and dogs facts is many don't.

I've had to have the same debate in several workplace well-being discussions whenever the idea of some office mascot dog has been raised.  I'm sure it would entertain and delight for a few minutes but then what happens 6-weeks, 6-months, 6 years later when the novelties have worn off and everyone's fed up with having to clean up after, walk twice a day, feed and care for.

Pets, dogs particularly have real feelings and emotional bond.  There needs to be thought about how the animal is going to deal with being passed around in a care home full of different people constantly coming in and out, the change of personnel, the change of it's companionship when inevitably residents keep dying. They can feel distresed just as much as anyone else when someone or something they are bonded with is gone.

Edited by ECCOnoob

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

So what do you think? I've been spending quite a lot of time visiting care homes lately, and IMO they could all be improved by the simple life enhancing presence of a pet or two.  I know they're not for everyone (though as an animal lover I can't think why,) so there could be pet free zones for those who don't like them, but encouraging the clients to care for them and look after them would improve their lives and wellbeing.

I visited my aunt that is in a care home yesterday. I took her some flowers, cost me £5 from Asda.

I didnt book an appointment and go in, I tried to talk to her through the window. She and the others seemed happy to see a different face and my dog too, although they might not know who I am.

I wasnt close to this aunt, but I recall her giving me 50p when I visited as a child and £10/£20 when I visited as an adult.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Anna B said:

I’d drive our two cats there tomorrow - pain in the backside they are.

Similarly I have been visiting homes over the last 5 years

Having permanent pets is not possible for health reasons.

Having 'visiting' pets is an excellent idea-with many homes encouraging relatives/friends/staff to bring in animals.

Manicured laws are deadly for wildlife-a bit of a wilderness and holes in fences encourages everything.

In Hampshire the home had chickens and visiting sheep, school children showing off their pets. One of the fences was cut down so that the residents could see people!

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Similarly I have been visiting homes over the last 5 years

Having permanent pets is not possible for health reasons.

Having 'visiting' pets is an excellent idea-with many homes encouraging relatives/friends/staff to bring in animals.

Manicured laws are deadly for wildlife-a bit of a wilderness and holes in fences encourages everything.

In Hampshire the home had chickens and visiting sheep, school children showing off their pets. One of the fences was cut down so that the residents could see people!

I was visiting my dad in his nursing home and a reindeer was brought in. Im not sure who was more confused, me or him.