Conservative Mp Stabbed

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

Talking about mps stopping meeting the public incase it happens again, or stopping being an MP fully

Matt Ratana, a serving police officer was killed in 2020, there wasn't all this outcry.

20 minutes ago, West 77 said:

There always is an outcry when serving police officers are killed or murdered while doing their job. It's quite correct that there is an outcry when a MP is murdered while carry out their work.  

You've lost the plot.

Don't think so. 

Outcry is for people who are left alive watching the news. Someone who has died does not really need it anymore.

This society cries harder when a MP very unfortunately gets killed then a police officer. That's a fact.

I think the point and difference is an MP is a civilian and a police officer knows their job could put themselves in danger and it means meeting people that could actually kill them

The murderer of David Amess spent some time on a government prevent programme to counter radicalisation, it didn’t work, did it?  Are these programmes a waste of time and money?  In this case it was.

4 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

The murderer of David Amess spent some time on a government prevent programme to counter radicalisation, it didn’t work, did it?  Are these programmes a waste of time and money?  In this case it was.

We can see on the conspiracy theory and political threads how deeply rooted some thinking can get. They become obsessed, I imagine grooming for Islamic extremism is just as deep rooted and hard to shift

47 minutes ago, melthebell said:

I think the point and difference is an MP is a civilian and a police officer knows their job could put themselves in danger and it means meeting people that could actually kill them

Sarah Everard is another death that wound up the media, to what effect?

28 minutes ago, El Cid said:

They arrested, Charged, Sentenced & imprisoned the Perpetrator :confused:

36 minutes ago, El Cid said:

To effect that deep rooted misogyny and lad culture in the force is now in the open for all to see?

If we can accept tens of thousands of avoidable Covid deaths, which it seems we can, then presumably we can accept a certain level of  permanent terrorist threat (which we have for decades, let's be honest) and the fact that a public figure will occasionally be the victim of it. It seems unrealistic for those in power to want us to accept the first ("let the bodies pile high") but not the second.

35 minutes ago, West 77 said:

There's a difference between a targeted murder of a politician than people dying as a consequence of a once in one year global pandemic.  Your comparison is ludicrous.

I'm not saying they are the same though. I'm saying that during the pandemic I've wondered, and worried, about the extent to which it cheapens life in general if the people in charge are so reckless about lives lost. Matt Hancock, the minister for Health and Social Care, directed hospitals to discharge care home residents back hom withut Covid tests - residents who had contracted Covid then passed it on to other clinically extremely vulnerable residents and in some cases whole populations of care homes were wiped out. That gives a message that lives don't really matter. There wasn't much outcry over that, so it seems a lot of people didnt care. Look at a graph of Covid rates and deaths in the UK now compared to the rest of Europe. It seems people in the rest of Europe still care about life and death - the data suggests that people in the UK don't care nearly so much.

Guest makapaka
10 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I'm not saying they are the same though. I'm saying that during the pandemic I've wondered, and worried, about the extent to which it cheapens life in general if the people in charge are so reckless about lives lost. Matt Hancock, the minister for Health and Social Care, directed hospitals to discharge care home residents back hom withut Covid tests - residents who had contracted Covid then passed it on to other clinically extremely vulnerable residents and in some cases whole populations of care homes were wiped out. That gives a message that lives don't really matter. There wasn't much outcry over that, so it seems a lot of people didnt care. Look at a graph of Covid rates and deaths in the UK now compared to the rest of Europe. It seems people in the rest of Europe still care about life and death - the data suggests that people in the UK don't care nearly so much.

What’s that got to do with the murder of the mp?

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

What’s that got to do with the murder of the mp?

That I think perhaps people care less about it than they would previously have done, because we've been taught that lives are worth less than we previously thought they were.