Robert Winston On Qt

Guest makapaka

Thought it was very brave to come out and say what he did about people changing sex (or their inability to) given the certain abuse he’ll now get.

was very refreshing. 

At least I could understand everyone on it this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0010k4m/question-time-2021-14102021

It was interesting to hear what he had to say about COVID too, the first question. Prof Winston talks about gender 44 minutes into the clip.

He states that you cannot change your gender, shock horror. Great to have free thinkers on QT.

Guest makapaka
22 hours ago, El Cid said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0010k4m/question-time-2021-14102021

It was interesting to hear what he had to say about COVID too, the first question. Prof Winston talks about gender 44 minutes into the clip.

He states that you cannot change your gender, shock horror. Great to have free thinkers on QT.

Always like what he has to say and the tv programmes he did - very clever man - I met him once as it happens. 

Edited by makapaka

Well that's him never appearing on TV again

1 hour ago, Delayed said:

Well that's him never appearing on TV again

Thing is what he says is probably correct and he knows more than most but it went right over everyone's head.

Trouble with this country now is you can't say the truth in a lot of instances.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Always like what he has to say and the tv programmes he did - very clever man - I met him once as it happens. 

I agree. 

I think it comes down to you can't change your sex, but you can change your gender. The legal complications of this are also important to people which I can understand. 

However I am perfectly happy to agree with whatever sex/gender people wish to present as. People are just people in all their glorious diversity. Is that a problem? 

1 hour ago, ukdobby said:

Thing is what he says is probably correct and he knows more than most but it went right over everyone's head.

Trouble with this country now is you can't say the truth in a lot of instances.

Agreed. He will either be the subject of 1000s of Ofcomm complaints or preemptively cancelled in fear 

Guest sibon

Twitter seems to have treated him quite kindly, which was a nice surprise.

I don’t see how you can argue with anything he said. Straightforward, scientific, factual stuff.

That’s not the contentious bit though. Gender is the thing that gets the arguments flowing.

@makapaka. I’ve met him too and heard him speak on several occasions. He’s a nice man and an excellent communicator of science.

Edited by sibon

Guest makapaka
8 hours ago, Anna B said:

I agree. 

I think it comes down to you can't change your sex, but you can change your gender. The legal complications of this are also important to people which I can understand. 

However I am perfectly happy to agree with whatever sex/gender people wish to present as. People are just people in all their glorious diversity. Is that a problem? 

No it’s not a problem.  I agree with Robert Winston 

On 16/10/2021 at 12:26, Anna B said:

I agree. 

The problems start when the self righteous ones amongst the transgender community get all uppity when someone "miss-gender's" them. People are not mind readers, how are people to know what gender a stranger identifies as?? 

On 17/10/2021 at 15:34, HumbleNarrator said:

The problems start when the self righteous ones amongst the transgender community get all uppity when someone "miss-gender's" them. People are not mind readers, how are people to know what gender a stranger identifies as?? 

My youngest came home from school the other day and said that in assembly the teachers had talked about 40+ genders.

As I am rather confused by this, is there a list anywhere, so that I can re-educate my clumsiness please?

I think the safest solution is to completely avoid such situations and not talk to anyone who might look like they have reassigned their gender in some way.

Unfortunately however that may then be interpreted as being rude or ignoring someone (or cancelling them, if that is the modern terminology).

I just can't win...please send me back to the 1970s...