Council Housing Areas

Hi all, 

I'm a council tenant in Wakefield, wanting to move to Sheffield. I don't know the area and have young kids so would like to live somewhere relatively clean and safe. 

I've read loads of threads on here of people asking what areas are like and from what I've gathered, every single area that the council offer are said to be awful! 

I suspect that everyone has a different idea of what's a good area, I've been raised on council estates so don't expect perfection. 

Where I live there's loads of antisocial youths that throw stuff at cars, burn wheelie bins etc. Kids gather in the park after dark to get wrecked, they like to speed their trail bikes up and down the roads too. There's always crowds of them at the shops. 

It's easier to point out who doesn't smoke weed, it's always in the air round here. 

The other day I was screaming in the street at 10pm to get a man to stop hurting his girlfriend in front of his terrified kids.

Some young kid stabbed another a few months back for no apparent reason, in the street.

So except for shootings we pretty much have it all here!

And still, I'd say living here is good, the majority are good people who watch out for each other. I'm moving to be closer to family and hopefully live somewhere where there aren't massive street parties full of wrong uns fighting in the middle of the week at night! 

Areas that keep coming up are :

Wybourn around Matravers Road

Arborthorne 

Lowedges

Pitsmoor

Parson Cross (Adrian Crescent this week) 

Southy/Longley 

Batemoor

Shirecliffe 

Shiregreen

High Green

Heeley around Tillotson Rise

Could anyone with experience of living in these places tell me which is the best of a bad bunch please? 

Many thanks

Wybourn around Matravers Road - Not bad, not that great either.

Arborthorne - lower is fine, higher avoid like the plague.

Lowedges - Avoid

Pitsmoor - Very multicultural

Parson Cross (Adrian Crescent this week) - Not that bad

Southy/Longley - Not that bad

Batemoor - Avoid

Shirecliffe - Not too bad

Shiregreen - Not too bad

High Green - Not bad, but a long way out of the city

Heeley around Tillotson Rise - Not too bad.

All areas have good and bad, so don't take this as totally ruling out areas.

I'd say your best bet from that seletion is Heeley around Tillotson Rise. Very near the nicer parts of town, easy access to the city centre and close to nice bars/restaurants/shops.

Stradbrook is nice, but a lot of the houses have been bought, so not sure if there are many council houses left.

@FizzyPotts

Have you registered with SCC?

Unless the system has changed drastically, without being awarded Priority or having a decent amount of waiting time I doubt you’d be able to pick and choose between areas.

Edited by nikki-red

High Green is Ok but a long way out.  Lived there for a year without any problems, but not living in a council house.

Out of curiosity I’ve just had a look on the Property Shop website.

Ive had my name down since 2001, but I’d still be between 10th and 15th in the ‘queue’ for a 2 bed in Southey/Longley 😳

47 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

@FizzyPotts

Unless the system has changed drastically, without being awarded Priority or having a decent amount of waiting time I doubt you’d be able to pick and choose between areas.

And if they don't have a local connection to Sheffield, they'll be in the lowest band, which would make it even more difficult.

1 hour ago, nikki-red said:

@FizzyPotts

I am registered with them and you do get to choose, they advertise available properties and you bid on ones you want to live in. If you're successful then they offer it to you. So I'll only be bidding on areas that aren't too bad. And I have decent priority so that's not an issue. 

1 hour ago, amazon123 said:

I'd say your best bet from that seletion is Heeley around Tillotson Rise. Very near the nicer parts of town, easy access to the city centre and close to nice bars/restaurants/shops.

That's my thoughts too, thank you

1 hour ago, nikki-red said:

Out of curiosity I’ve just had a look on the Property Shop website.

Ive had my name down since 2001, but I’d still be between 10th and 15th in the ‘queue’ for a 2 bed in Southey/Longley 😳

Everyone's circumstances are different. It's not just waiting time that's considered

46 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

And if they don't have a local connection to Sheffield, they'll be in the lowest band, which would make it even more difficult.

Which I do. I appreciate everyone's input regards the areas, thank you it's very helpful

18 minutes ago, FizzyPotts said:

I am registered with them and you do get to choose, they advertise available properties and you bid on ones you want to live in. If you're successful then they offer it to you. So I'll only be bidding on areas that aren't too bad. And I have decent priority so that's not an issue. 

That’s good then, it’s having the Priority that helps the most 👍🏻.

Obviously you get to choose areas, I meant that if you have no Priority and no waiting time your choices would be really limited.

Good luck! 

26 minutes ago, FizzyPotts said:

Thank you

Hope you get a nice home and if you do keep coming on here , its a great forum